Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Mysterous roughness on paint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 08:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 E430 4MATIC
Mysterous roughness on paint

I have something on my paint that obviously fell from the sky all over the car. It resembles a massive dose of tree sap. However, here is the mystery. You can wash and wax the car and it appears to have completly removed the substance. However, it returns within a few hours or at most a few days. It is not getting hit with fresh sap as it will come back even if the car is kept in the garage over night. When it returns it first appears as tiny dots about the size of a speck of sand which you can pick off with your finger nail, then more and more start appearing until the finish is rough and dull within a week. I have used a clay bar, simple green, cleaner wax and all easily remove it, only to have it return. It's almost like it is coming out of the paint but it's on the chrome trim too. Heat seems to accelerate the return.
Any ideas on what this might be?
Old 09-05-2008, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
you need to decontaminate your paint. I have seen this before on a black 03 SL55... the weirdest thing. We clayed, buffed, almost wet sanded but then used finish kare paint decontam. system and it worked!

www.fk1usa.com
Old 09-06-2008, 02:32 AM

2002 E430 4MATIC
Kar Don,
Thanks - looking through the link you provided I think you hit the nail on the head. I recently traded my 1997 E420 and upgraded to the '02 so this may have been something in the paint prior to me getting the car - I though it was tree sap from a park near us. Hopefully this will work as I was baffled.

Their link to the Standard Decontamination Kit didn't work so I'll call the company on Monday to find out the differences between the three kits they offer.

In a number of places they reference that the products are for "Professional Use", should I have any concerns? I can follow instructions but don't have any background on detailing beyond normal wash/wax/vacuum.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
ive used the system a few times... some tips.

WEAR gloves, this is strong stuff.
Work in a very open area as this stuff smells... I would even use a mask.
Rinse the car VERY well after application.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 500 2003
thanks guys useful stuff.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:20 PM

2002 E430 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Kar don
ive used the system a few times... some tips.

WEAR gloves, this is strong stuff.
Work in a very open area as this stuff smells... I would even use a mask.
Rinse the car VERY well after application.
Thanks - I doing a lot of research on the product but I was wondering about anything special that an amature might not be aware of. Like is it ok if it gets on the windshield glass, wheels, black trim, chrome etc?

Any exerience with competing products from Auto International called the ABC system? There are comflicting opinions on which is safer, less harsh, etc.[/COLOR]