Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Is Zymol the best wax?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Is Zymol the best wax?

After seeing the new thread on the "higher end" Zymol Estate Vintage wax-free sample given to an Autopia member I decided to check out the Zymol site.....

I then called Zymol's 800 number and spoke with "Jonathon". Jonathon told me that "automative paint breaths like your skin and that a clear coat is basically a clear coat of paint. " He told me "it's important that your paint be able to breath through out the life of your car "and the Zymol Concourse at $150.00 a jar plus the cleanser cream by Zymol at $20.00 and it's the best stuff for my 2001 Camaro SS. He then said the main reason guys in the net don't speak about Zymol is because the general public beleives it's a German made product which it really is not. Zymol was invented and manufactuered by an American in 1980 and is based out of Connecticut. I then told him I had heard the Zymol Cleaner Wax (sold at PepBoys, Walmart) out of the Chicago area was made by Turtle wax and he said "no, that's a misconception." It's marketed thru Turtle wax but made at the Zymol factory outside Chicago. He said Zaino is very bad for your paint because it seals your paint and your paint cannot breath and over time your paint will fade........ is this true? Is Zymol that good for your paint? Check it out at.......

http://www.zymol.com/concour2.htm

I stocked up on Zaino but now I'm confused!

Opinions are welcomed......
Old 01-08-2003, 11:01 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Think you should stick with Zaino. I believe majority here uses Zaino and as being one of them i can attest the quality of the product is incredible!
Old 01-08-2003, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
Paint breathing?

C'mon! I'm no chemical engineer or anything, but paint needing to "breathe?" I don't buy it.

The plywood under the laminate veneer on my office desk doesn't need to breathe. The drywall under my paint/stucco doesn't need to breathe. The soda in my plastic bottle doesn't need to breathe.

Sounds like a big ol' crock o' shee-it to me.

I mean, geez, it's not like CO2 gas exchange occurs like with soil and air.

Sounds to me like another marketing argument to persuade people that your product is "new and improved" or "better than brand X"

My ignorant two cents, YMMV,

EDJ

Last edited by ElDiabloJoe; 01-08-2003 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Re: Paint breathing?

Originally posted by ElDiabloJoe
C'mon! I'm no chemical engineer or anything, but paint needing to "breathe?" I don't buy it.

The plywood under the laminate veneer on my office desk doesn't need to breathe. The drywall under my paint/stucco doesn't need to breathe. The soda in my plastic bottle doesn't need to breathe.

Sounds like a big ol' crock o' shee-it to me.

I mean, geez, it's not like CO2 gas exchange occurs like with soil and air.

Sounds to me like another marketing argument to persuade people that your product is "new and improved" or "better than brand X"

My ignorant two cents, YMMV,

EDJ
I'd stick to joe's advice. Remember, zaino is a long chain polymer that crosslinks to other polymers which bond to the paint surface. With crosslink polymers they are flexable and will expand and contract with your paint as it gets cold and hot (like on your hood). A carnuaba wax cannot do that, this is why they lack durability.