Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Glare polish?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL550
Glare polish?

Have any of you tried Glare Autopolish http://autopolish.net/default.asp? I am looking for anything that will minimize the swirls in my black CL's paint. --R
Old 11-18-2008, 10:29 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
I have used Glare and Spider for a little while operating a detailing company as a side business. I have worked only on referrals, and have stayed pretty busy with MBs, Porsches, and a couple Prancing Horses. I have had fantastic results using a Porter Cable orbital with a 6 inch foam pad with the blue polish bonnets from Sears($6 a pack of 4). I know the stuff is expensive, but doesn't remove paint, it (Spider) actually fills it using the machine to do the work(only the lightest hand pressure). Follow up with 2 coats of Glare, applied with a microfiber bonnet on a $20 Coleman buffer, and the results will amaze you. Let the microfiber do the work of lightly putting the Glare down, and taking it off so there is little if any residue.

Good luck,
Nick
Old 11-19-2008, 11:01 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Preventing swirls will best be achieved by washing and drying with extreme care. This is the step where the majority of swirls are added so good technique and quality products are a must. Additionally if you protect your vehicle with a sealant and/or wax year round this will help provide a barrier of protection.

To remove swirl marks already in the paint you'll want to polish the paint. Polishing permanently removes swirl marks, fine scratches, oxidation, etc.

If you would like more information or advice about any part of the detailing process please let me know, I would be happy to help.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 11-26-2008, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL550
I have my car detailed at least every two months. What would you suggest I do to keep it clean after it rains, or b/c of pollen build up, etc.? --R
Old 11-27-2008, 01:34 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can clean the paint with a quality quick detailer and microfiber towel. I like to clean the surface with the Poorboy's World Spray and Wipe and the DI Ultra Plush Microfiber Towel. Mist the Spray and Wipe over a 2ft x 2ft section and wipe the surface with light pressure. The Spray and Wipe helps encapsulate tiny particles so they are far less likely to cause swirls, etc. The use of a thick and and plush microfiber towel like our Ultra Plush helps reduce friction and make this is a very safe process. I usually use 2 - 4 of these towels during my quick detailing process. Let me know if you have any questions about this process.