Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Help! Purple Discoloration After Adhesive Removal!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nascar
Help! Purple Discoloration After Adhesive Removal!

Hello,

My car is 04 and black.

I was wondering if anyone could help me find a product or way to remove some purple discoloration that ended up when I removed the plastic diffuser of my e55.

The story:

I removed the plastic rear diffuser of my car because it turned from black to light gray because of age. Underneath is supposed to be fresh paint, and when I did, I noticed streaks and lines of purple around where the double sided adhesive tape was used to mount the plastic diffuser. I'm wondering if there is any product to take this out, or if it could be buffered out?

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Normally the paint underneath should be in pristine condition like you suggested. Normally you have to polish the surrounding paint to make it look more like new so they match better. I'm not sure why it would seem so discolored as you suggested. The cause of this problem may impact my decision but here is what I would probably try. I would first make sure the surface is clean by washing and potentially using a clay bar if needed. This ensures there are virtually no contaminants on the surface. Then I would most likely polish the surface with a light polish. Knowing my personal desire for perfection I would most likely use a medium cutting polish followed by a light cutting polish. Ideally I would apply this with a buffer because the increased heat and pressure really helps work in the polishes for best results. My favorite combination of polishes is the Menzerna Super Intensive Polish (medium) and the Menzerna PO106FF. It's an excellent combination for removing fine imperfections in the paint. If you have any questions about this process or any part of the detailing process please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 12-08-2008, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nascar
Originally Posted by Greg@DI
Normally the paint underneath should be in pristine condition like you suggested. Normally you have to polish the surrounding paint to make it look more like new so they match better. I'm not sure why it would seem so discolored as you suggested. The cause of this problem may impact my decision but here is what I would probably try. I would first make sure the surface is clean by washing and potentially using a clay bar if needed. This ensures there are virtually no contaminants on the surface. Then I would most likely polish the surface with a light polish. Knowing my personal desire for perfection I would most likely use a medium cutting polish followed by a light cutting polish. Ideally I would apply this with a buffer because the increased heat and pressure really helps work in the polishes for best results. My favorite combination of polishes is the Menzerna Super Intensive Polish (medium) and the Menzerna PO106FF. It's an excellent combination for removing fine imperfections in the paint. If you have any questions about this process or any part of the detailing process please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Hey Greg,

First of all, I would like to thank you a lot for taking your time and typing a response to help me!

I will try claying the car next week when I have a chance to go home (at school now) and I will see if that is what it needs. Could it be that the sun damage affected the plastic or maybe the double-sided tape adhesive and ruined the clear coat?

About your suggestion about using a buffer with those products that you recommended, if I were to ask a detailer about it, would he know? I myself am not an expert in this department at all and don't even own a buffer, lol.

Thanks again!
Eric
Old 12-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ECBAOBAO
Hey Greg,

First of all, I would like to thank you a lot for taking your time and typing a response to help me!

I will try claying the car next week when I have a chance to go home (at school now) and I will see if that is what it needs. Could it be that the sun damage affected the plastic or maybe the double-sided tape adhesive and ruined the clear coat?

About your suggestion about using a buffer with those products that you recommended, if I were to ask a detailer about it, would he know? I myself am not an expert in this department at all and don't even own a buffer, lol.

Thanks again!
Eric
Eric,

No problem at all I'm happy to help out. I'm not sure what the problem is with the surface, it sounds kind of obscure. However with detailing I see unique and new situations on a regular basis. I have a lot of guesses on what may have happened but it's tough to know without seeing it and even then I may only be able to give you an educated guess.

It's fine that you don't have a buffer. You can certainly apply the products by hand first if you want. A buffer would be far more ideal but you may get the results you need from a hand application. A detailer or the dealership may be able to help you out. However the work of these places can vary quite a bit and more often than not it seems doing it yourself is safer. With just a little bit of reading you can do this on your own with a buffer or by hand with better results. We have some very safe and easy to use buffers if interested. I've helped numerous first time detailers get some impressive results with our buffers and polishes. If I can help you any further please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image