Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Restored Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlamps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 12:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 C230WZ SS Capri Blue/Ash
Restored Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlamps

Had my first headlamp restoring of the season. It’s still a little too cold to re-start the detailing business, but I couldn’t refuse this one. It's a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with about 95,000 on the odo. It’s in average condition for the mileage. I set him up with a full interior and exterior detail when the weather gets warmer. Until then, he just wanted me to restore his headlights because he couldn’t see anything while driving at night. A look of the pics shows why. This isn’t your typical road grime that comes off with a car wash. In fact, he purchased some over the counter “headlight restorer.” After an hour with the product he bought, he gave up as it did nothing.

My normal process also laughed back at me. I normally use an LC Orange foam pad along with Menzerna SIP to cut thru the oxidation. But it didn’t do much at all. So I had to resort to power-wetsanding with some SIS micofinish paper. 600 grit wasn’t enough, so I went down to 400. I then worked my way up to 600, 1200, and then 2400. Then I hit it with the SIP, then PO106FF.

They didn’t come out perfect (I missed some areas on the lower horizontal yellow parking lights), as it was getting dark out, and couldn't see too well. But I'll get them again when I do the full interior/exterior detail in a month or two. Anyways, here’s a look at the before and after pics. They were among the worst I’ve worked on in a long time.

Enjoy

Cintoman
CDS, LLC
Attached Thumbnails Restored Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlamps-img_1596sm.jpg   Restored Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlamps-img_1597sm.jpg   Restored Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlamps-img_1598sm.jpg   Restored Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlamps-img_1599sm.jpg   Restored Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlamps-img_1605sm.jpg  

Restored Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlamps-img_1606sm.jpg  
Old 03-02-2009, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C3Twon AWD Jumpofffff
wow what a difference... the headlights are probably from all the highway driving salt/snow/etc.