Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Question about scratches

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 ML350
Question about scratches

Hi, I drove a C300 4Matic white. After a car wash today I realize that there are few minor scratch on the trunk lid, just some minor black scratch created by snow brush (the plastic side). I don't know when I did that but I can recall is becuz my car is parked outside and the ice just stick on the trunk, so I use the plastic side of the snow brush to dig it or break up the ice, so I guess thats how it was created. Any suggestion I can remove those minor scratch because I dont want to bring the car to the shop to repaint cuz it is $$$.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Thickness
Clear coat has a thickness of 1.5 – 2.0 Mils, removing more that 0.4 mil (0.0004") of clear coat will cause premature paint film failure. As a point of reference two sheets of Saran wrap placed on top of each other measure 1.5Mil (0.0015") a surface scratch that will `catch' your fingernail is approximately 0.004" deep and will usually require wet sanding and refinishing.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by sammytkw
Hi, I drove a C300 4Matic white. After a car wash today I realize that there are few minor scratch on the trunk lid, just some minor black scratch created by snow brush (the plastic side). I don't know when I did that but I can recall is becuz my car is parked outside and the ice just stick on the trunk, so I use the plastic side of the snow brush to dig it or break up the ice, so I guess thats how it was created. Any suggestion I can remove those minor scratch because I dont want to bring the car to the shop to repaint cuz it is $$$.

Thanks for your help.

Are they really scratches or swirl marks? Post a picture and try taking pictures with a flash from various angles to reveal swirl marks.