Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Please Help Me !!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL 55 AMG
Please Help Me !!!!!!!

Hello All,

I purchased and took delivery of a 2003 CL 55 Dec 23, 2002. I purchased the vehicle at Beverly Hills Limited Mercedes Benz and i live in the San Jose Bay Area. As i drove the vehicle home i stopped to add fuel and i had noticed that the top of the vehicles roof, driver and passenger side had paint discoloration. I immediately called my salesperson and let him about the discoloration. He informed me that he would schedule a date for my vehicle to be towed back to the dealership to have the discoloration removed. He was assuming it was a discoloration that they had been encountering from the factory due to the plastic thats glued or attached to the car while being shipped over to the US. I asked him if the discoloration does not come off what would be the procedure. He insisted that the discoloration would be able to be removed and if it was not they would replace the vehicle with a brand new one. Well i need everyones help and info as to what my rights as a consumer and fellow mercedes benz owner are... The date for the vehicle to be brought back to the dealer was Jan 29 2003 i accompanied my car to assure and approve of the methods used to remove the discoloration as well as the results. The method used was a HEAT GUN which was applied about 2 to 3 inches away from the discolored areas. This method was repeated 3 times with no permanent succes. The discoloration would dissappear for a few hours then reappear. While this method was being conducted i began speaking to the detailers who stated this discoloration was a FACTORY DEFFECT. I then was directed to the Service manager who began to try and push me into a corner verbally by saying my only option would be to allow them to repaint the top of the vehicle. I objected and refuse to allow them to repaint a vehicle that i just purchase brand new at $135,000 dollars. I also refused to bring the vehicle back home, i have pictures of the discoloration. I also have a repair order which states that there were three attempts to remove the discoloration with the Heat Method which failed to remove the Factory Defect. On top of all this i asked about the PDI inspection sheet to see if this discoloration was noted which it was not as well as i looked over the contract to see perhaps if it was noted there no it was not but i was charged for a Perma Plate which consists of waxing and sealing the paint of the vehicle which cost about $1495.00 and during that process the detailer or whomever failed to recognize the discoloration. I am now requesting that i be provided a new vehicle or have my current vehicle purchased back from me in order for myself to be content with the situation. I am not going to accept or authorize a brand new vehicle to be rapinted in any way. CAN YOU GUYS PLEASE HELP WITH SUGGESTIONS AND PROCEADURES AS WELL AS EXPECTED OUTCOME REGARDING MY REQUESTS. I would also like to inform you that i am 23 years old and feel like these bigwigs are just trying to push me aside due to my age. I am currently seekink legal advice as well as contacts in the news media in order to publicize the events which may be able to help me obtain my request which i feel are definitely fair. FYI the car has 463 miles and is silver silver with every option so its not like its been used and abuse the miles where just put on from the ride over from Beverly Hills to San Jose, it was towed back in order to try and remove the defects.

thank you all i will definitely post pics as well!!!!!
Old 02-04-2003, 01:47 AM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'85 190E 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
What was your rationale for not allowing them to repaint the roof? CA has a "lemon law" and for the details:

http://www.californialemonlaw.info/

Good luck!
Old 02-04-2003, 02:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
This is a new one to me. I wonder if the "perma plate" process did anything !?!?!? Please post pics so I can see first hand.

If your dealer can't take care of your needs, I would contact MBUSA client assistance center for further assistance. At some point a regional manager will probably want to see the vehicle as well.
Old 02-04-2003, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
I have seen discolorations before on cars straight from the factory. It is usually moisture or something under the clearcoat. Sometimes the heat gun method works, sometimes it does not. If it doesn't, they usually repaint it. But I would also not want to have a brand new CL55 painted, unless it is a lease and they do a great job.
Old 02-04-2003, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by Matt230K
I have seen discolorations before on cars straight from the factory. It is usually moisture or something under the clearcoat. Sometimes the heat gun method works, sometimes it does not. If it doesn't, they usually repaint it. But I would also not want to have a brand new CL55 painted, unless it is a lease and they do a great job.
Did they try an abrasive compound on the paint? That may help. That is so weird, never heard of that before. Don't let them repaint it, when you go to sell it say good buy to your trade in value. Demand a refund, let them deal with the car.
Old 02-04-2003, 03:50 PM

Buy Back

I had a similar problem with a CLK320 and a defective rear fender. I allowed several attempts including a "wet-sanding" to try to remove the defect. MB USA was very adamant about a re-spray as my only alterntive. This would involve removing major components in order to prep the area. The car is black and cannot be "touched up" the entire fender had to be prepped and painted.

At that point my dealer stepped in to make things right - they worked it out with MB USA and I returned the defective car to the dealer and received another in return. It took a few months due to production but it was well worth the wait. I really like the way my dealer stood behind me and wanted to make things right, but MB USA was not as concerned.

Good Luck with this.

JR
Old 02-04-2003, 10:59 PM

2003 CL 55 AMG
Dealer called today and offered again to repaint the vehicle and pay two months payments to compensate. They also stated that the factory said they will pay to have the vehicle repainted but will not provide me with a new vehicle. I declined this offer to the dealer and firmly stated that i will not accept any repaint. My expecatations to resolve this issue are to provide me with a new vehicle or purchase the present vehicle back from me.

Dealer stated they will speak to a few other people and get back to me tomorrow......

this is the latest guys>>>
Old 02-05-2003, 05:09 AM

I don't mean to sound condescending, but if you can afford a $135,000 car, can you not afford legal representation which would only be small fraction of that amount? MBUSA and your dealer will respond to your attorney in a much more timely manner than dealing directly with you which they perceive as a harmless "23 year old kid."
Old 02-05-2003, 12:51 PM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'85 190E 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
Just my advice . . . Get everything in writing. If they call you on the phone, confirm the conversation in a letter back to them. As they say in astronomy "If it isn't written down, it didn't happen."
Old 02-05-2003, 04:17 PM

2003 CL 55 AMG
DarkLCD you are correct, i am cyrrently seeking Legal Advice as well as Legal Representation of the matter.

MTI, i thank you for the advice i will definitely reiterate every conversation i had with each individual on paper and have this validated.

THE LATEST CALL i got today about 45 miniutes ago stating that the Dealership will not purchase the vehicle back from me. The factory will not replace the vehicle and the Dealership will not purchase the vehicle back from me. I guess this is where the High Powered attorney picks it up...... i will keep you all posted, as well as post pictures. I would also like to add that i have contacted David Horowitz of the NBC News who has a televised program called FIGHT BACK for consumers. www.fightback.com
Old 02-09-2003, 08:30 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
A re-spray...I don't think so!!!

Get 2-3 other paint shops and if you can from an authorized MBZ body shop (not you dealers) and have them give you a repair estimate stating the defect, you'll need this for your fight.

This really sucks, a new $135k MBZ and they won't make it right, I mean it's not like you put on thousands of miles. Your dealer sucks and the factory rep sucks too, and so does the paint job.

Keep us posted.

RJC
Old 02-12-2003, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E 320
I have no advise other than get a lawyer at this point. A repaint would be out of the question. The reason they wount buy this back is becasue nobody would pay $135k and have discoloration. They know it and dont want to have it back on the lot.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1998 C230
dealers :rolls his eyes"

i have had so many bad experiences with them.