Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Bugs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 02:47 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
Bugs

I am forced to travel lots of rural highways. During the summer I accumulate lots of bugs. I hate the look of those bras and don't want to use one.

How do you recommend safely cleaning off bugs from painted surfaces and grills and headlights?

Thanks.
Old 02-04-2003, 02:59 PM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'85 190E 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
I agree with you about those bras, are we really afraid that the headlights on those 911's are gonna sag . . .

But seriously, the best thing is to rinse the critter guts off with fresh water as soon as you can to avoid the remote possibility that one of those things might actually be as corrosive as bird poop. Water is a decent solvent for the organic remains.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
There is stuff you can buy (at most any auto parts store) that will remove bugs.

You should use it sparingly, though - it will take off the wax.

Most bugs will come off with soap and water.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:51 PM
Almost a Member!

E500
I'm talking about the whole front of the car, windshield and mirrors all being fairly covered almost daily during the peak bug season. Yeah, soap and water works with a lot of elbow grease. I usually need a soft brush to fully remove the remains. I hate to use one but I'd go thru tons of bug remover if I relied only on a cleaner to remove and then I'd be constantly needing to reapply sealer.

I guess this is the price I pay for working in the boondocks.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:48 PM

E500
Porsche makes a bug cleaner that comes with a two-sided sponge to safely remove bugs/tar from the paint and glass. I've also been successful using a clay bar specifically for my glass, and have been pleased with the results.

You can get the Porsche Tequipment Insect Remover at the link below for $14.95 plus shipping. I've used this site for a bunch of stuff, and never had a problem with them (very timely and professional). Hope this helps.

http://www.properautocare.com/porteqinrem.html