Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

PLEASE HELP! Windshield has tons of small scratches

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big and Heavy 03 CL
PLEASE HELP! Windshield has tons of small scratches

I need help with this one. I drove the car to Hilton Head Island for the weekend and parked the car under the house in the garage. I think some super fine sand blew in and covered the car. I used glass cleaner and a microfiber towel to clean the windshield. It looked really clean but when I drove the car and the sun hit the windshield I saw a ton of scratches where I had used the towel. They arent coming out. What can I do or use to get them out or at least looking a little bit better? I dont want to do anything else and make the problem worse. PLEASE HELP!
Old 04-30-2009, 04:57 PM

Big and Heavy 03 CL
Nobody can help???
Old 04-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't carry it at my store but Lake Country makes a good glass polishing kit. It's highly effective if you feel comfortable with the application process. http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/spec_products_GPSPRO.html

If you want to try and deep clean the glass try the Glass Science Glass Scrub. This product helps me deep clean the glass. In the future you can apply a sealant to the glass to help protect it if desired.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 05-01-2009, 06:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Be aware the some imperfections cannot be removed (by doing so you will compromise the glass surface optics) and you may have to replace it. If you can catch your fingernail in the scratch 0.4 Mil (0 .004 –inch deep) you should consult a professional glass repair / replacement company.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:01 AM

2005 C55
If they are only small scratches (Very light scratches and the line from the wipers), go to a few detail shops and have them buff it with a high speed buffer (No more than a light cut pad) and some window polish. You should be pleased.