Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Which mitts? Cotton chenille or microfiber

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 10:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 Mercedes S550 4Matic, 2020 Mercedes GLE 450 4Matic
Question Which mitts? Cotton chenille or microfiber

I have been using the cotton chenille mitts to wash my car. But I use the microfiber elite towels to apply Zaino thanks to the recommendations from this forum. Should I change and use microfiber mitts to wash the auto? The microfiber materials picks up dirt well and holds it. The cotton may release the dirt more than the microfiber. I use a three bucket method as advocated here and even four buckets when the auto is really dirty. My dad is a textile chemical engineer and is an expert on Microfiber. He was worried that the microfiber being a synthetic fabric could scratch the car's surface. In reality, I have found that not to be a problem probably because of the tightly spun fibers. Microfiber towels are great for cleaning mirrors and windows because they are dust free. Note no lint on the dryer screen after drying in the Maytag.
Old 02-13-2003, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
I really like the high-quality sheepskin mitts for cleaning as they pick up plenty of dirt, and are extra gentle on the paint--downside is that they'll only last a year or so and they take a while to dry out. To keep it from getting too dirty on the lower panels, I use a clear-coat safe brush and follow up with the mitt. I've had great success with this method, and as you indicated, use three buckets when washing the car.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:39 AM

2013 S550
I use 2-4 microfiber mits for each wash, and two chenille mitts for the wheels and tires. I still use the Zaino applicators to apply Zaino.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:52 AM

E500 Sport
Have any of you tried a boars hair brush? I've been using one for many years now with great succcess. Griot's garage has one. And YES, they're expensive!... But, I rinse it very well when done washing the car and hang it to dry. Mine is over 10yr's old and still looks new. Give it try.... Mark
Old 02-17-2003, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
I would NOT recommend a boars hair brush to wash your car unless you wash it everyday. The reason being is that there is no nap in for the dirt to travel up into and you will get swirl marks and fine scratches. You probably arent noticing these because you have a silver car.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:30 AM

E500 Sport
Have any of you tried a boars hair brush? I've been using one for many years now with great succcess. Griot's garage has one. And YES, they're expensive!... But, I rinse it very well when done washing the car and hang it to dry. Mine is over 10yr's old and still looks new. Give it try.... Mark