Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

What is the best way to maintain the interior of my car (Vinyl/Dash/Plastics, etc.)?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 07:05 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
What is the best way to maintain the interior of my car (Vinyl/Dash/Plastics, etc.)?

I've always been avid believer that keeping your interior clean by simply wiping it with a soft damp cloth/shammy, keeping it away from the sun for extended periods, and not using any cleaning products on it, will keep it looking like new forever practically.

For my car, I've used "Lexol Leather Conditioning Wipes" for the interior a couple of times for the heck of it, and have used it on my dash, plastics, and basically everywhere on the interior that's black. My interior is all M-B Tex (Vinyl) except for the steering wheel and middle front seat inserts. My worry is am I doing this for nothing? Or worse yet is it harmful anywhere? Would I be okay with sticking with the damp-wipe or would the interior materials start losing their luster after a while?

I drive about 4K miles a year on my M-B, and garage it as well.

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Pics of my interior::

Old 07-03-2009, 03:29 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08 STI
if you want a matte finish like OEM I would tell you to pick up Einszett Cockpit its one of the best interior cleaner/protectants that I have ever used.

Many of my customers love it and will never use anything else.

We will have more in stock shortly after the July 4th holiday
Old 07-04-2009, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 CLS 550 (Black)
This is what I use and do:

For the rubber/plastic/vinyl sections, I've used Vinylex. As for the leather, I bought Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Cleaner Spray.

I applied Vinylex a few days ago and the sections look good IMO. My only issue is applying the product. I have to figure out a technique to avoid applying it to the leather! I probably have to use Q-tips or something on the edges. I haven't tried using MEGs leather cleaner...it looks like you have perforated leather seats. Don't apply too much product on it because it might get stuck on the holes; especially the cream type products.

As far as applying the products, apply the product on a microfiber applicator pad or towel then wipe it on the surface.

To clean the microfiber after the job, wash it in warm water and some laundry detergent.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:44 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by Gabe007
This is what I use and do:

For the rubber/plastic/vinyl sections, I've used Vinylex. As for the leather, I bought Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Cleaner Spray.

I applied Vinylex a few days ago and the sections look good IMO. My only issue is applying the product. I have to figure out a technique to avoid applying it to the leather! I probably have to use Q-tips or something on the edges. I haven't tried using MEGs leather cleaner...it looks like you have perforated leather seats. Don't apply too much product on it because it might get stuck on the holes; especially the cream type products.

As far as applying the products, apply the product on a microfiber applicator pad or towel then wipe it on the surface.

To clean the microfiber after the job, wash it in warm water and some laundry detergent.
Thanks. I might try that. Would you guys recommend using the 303 Aerospace stuff ALL over the interior, seats, plastics, vinyl, etc.? I've heard people do this to good outcomes. I think I'm gonna stop using Lexol Conditioner on my dash, etc. I'm thinking it probably does no good.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I typically clean the interior with the 303 Cleaner and Spot Remover. It leaves no residue behind and is safe on the majority of the interior. I use it on the dashboard, doors, console, carpets, mats and more. For protection the 303 Aerospace Protectant should be perfect for you again here.

Greg @ Detailed Image