Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

How do you remove dye stains off the leather??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do you remove dye stains off the leather??

I have ash interior and the driver's seat and the armrest have completely been ruined.
I was sporting my burgundy leather coat on a cold day. It wasn't until the next morning that I found the seat, the middle armrest and the armrest on the door have been dyed burgundy. I used household leather sofa cleaner but wasn't very successful. It's been almost three weeks and I kinda gave up.
What should I do? which products/methods do you guys recommend?
Old 02-19-2003, 09:23 AM

2002 C240 Classic - Orion Blue Beast!!
For the leather try using leatherique. See AlBostons sticky at the top of the forum for more info.

The armrest is vinyl, so you can use something a bit more harsh. I'd recco tide powder laundry detergent and a toothbrush.

You may think using Tide sounds crazy, but I've used it on my white leather shoes numerous times. They were badly soiled with dirt. The tide got them gleaming white again with no ill effect on the leather.

Take a bucket of clean water and a J-cloth. Wipe the armrest with the cloth so that it has a small amount of water on it. Take your toothbrush, wet it, dip it in your cup of tide, the powder will stick to the brush. Take the brush and start scrubbing. You should see the dye start to come out. Keep dipping and scrubbing until all dye is gone.

Once finished scrubbing take your cloth and sop up all the soap.

Let me know how it goes.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:53 AM

2077 Camry Hybrid
Removing dye from leather

What is a J-cloth? I too dyed my leather car seats. I am very upset. I will try the Tide, that sounds like a great idea. Ever tried Tide with bleach?
Old 06-16-2009, 01:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Don't use bleach it will compromise the structural integrity of the vinyl and cause it to fail. Likewise with Tide, the granules will abrde the vinyl

Iz einszett 'Plastik-Reiniger is an intensive, non-corrosive, non-acidic two-phase deep cleaner, that removes grime build-up thoroughly and effortlessly, these chemicals restore your interiors original texture and resiliency; use to clean all coloured and clear water-based acrylic polyurethane and vinyl covered automotive upholstery; this product is biodegradable, formalin-free and environmentally friendly.

Maintenance / protection - clean surfaces with a d-limonene (citrus) based cleaner ( P21S Total Auto Wash) to remove stains, then apply a suitable protection (1z einszett Vinyl Rubber Care & Potectant "Tiefenpfleger) that contains ultra violet protection
Old 09-18-2011, 12:38 AM

I've got a Honda but it should work anyway

my light beige leather seats were stained in spots by wet orange paper. Don't ask. I used Meguairs Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner and Conditioner but only a bit came off. So I applied a thick layer and left it sit for several hours. When I wiped it off, the leather was clean.

If the stain is really bad you may have to do this procedure several times. It probably works better if the seat is warm. Turn on the seat heater in the winter time maybe.

I wouldn't use anything harsh like detergent or bleach on leather or even vinyl.