Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Paint Thickness Gauges

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my wife wild, but she loves every minute of it.
Paint Thickness Gauges

The appraisers of high-end cars use paint thickness gauges. I've seen them that range from simple devices less than $50, to over $300. Different gauges are used on allow and fiberglass.

That said, I'm wondering how many amateur and/or non-amateur detailers use paint thickness gauges in their work, and if so, do you have a favorite unit? Thanks.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Paint Thickness Gauge

Most paint thickness gauges (PTG) work by sensing the distance between the sensor and the metal base material. That’s total distance, which would be the thickness of all layers (primer, base, colour, and clear coats) and any repainted material, etc. You have to take an educated guess as to how much each layer consists of.

Why Use a PTG?

Using a paint thickness gauge gives a professional detailer credibility and also acts as an insurance against ‘break-though’ of a clear coat, which would entail a re-paint and I suspect a very irate customer. Original paint has a better resale value than a re-painted vehicle, plus they will lose the use of their vehicle for some days. The ideal setup would be a DFT Combo for the metals and a PosiTector 200 B/Adv for the composites

They range in price fom $300 - $1,000 (for fibreglass)

An extract from one of a series of 110 in-depth, unbiased detailing articles © TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2009, all rights reserved.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:54 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08 STI
Yes we use one at the shop on just about every detail.

the DFT is probably one of the best ones around.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree the Defelsko DFT is the way to go if you are interested in getting a top quality tool for the job. The unit is used so you can properly assess a vehicle's condition and care for it in the best way possible. If a panel has been repainted or is problematic this is a very useful tool for detailers. I think it's a popular tool for high end detailers who do a lot of polishing work. When a vehicle is expensive and you are polishing it pays to know exactly what you are doing.

Greg @ Detailed Image