Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Proper way to wash a black car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB C230 4Matic
Proper way to wash a black car

Whats the proper way to wash a black?
i always see watermarks after the car is dry any way to remove that?
Old 07-27-2009, 08:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Car
Originally Posted by tommy1752003
Just for the water marks, after washing, make sure you dry off the car completely with a (super absorbent microfiber) chamois. There are great methods of how to wash/detail your car properly on the stickies above in the detailing section.

...and lemme tell yea, having a black car is like having a full time job. its hard to maintain!
Old 07-27-2009, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by holycaoAMG
...and lemme tell yea, having a black car is like having a full time job. its hard to maintain!
Black cars do look amazing. Check out my photo album.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Washing black paint is really no different than any other color. The only difference I notice is that darker colors will get hot faster than lighter colors and they show imperfections more. I care for them both in the same way though by washing carefully with quality tools. I suggest reading our Detailing Guide - Washing and Drying Section to make sure you have the best technique possible. I would make sure you leave the vehicle in the shade for as long as possible before washing. Get all the products out and ready to use and then back the car our and start washing. I rinse the entire car every two minutes or less, especially if it's sunny out. As soon as you are done thoroughly rinsing the paint, bring it back under a shaded area. I dry the paint off with the DI Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towel - 36" x 24". If you need any more new products check out our DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package. You may also want to look at the Dodo Juice Time to Dry Drying Detailer - 250 ml which helps you dry the vehicle faster.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 08-02-2009, 11:44 AM

my wife wild, but she loves every minute of it.
Originally Posted by tommy1752003
While it may not be convenient, wash it in the shade or at night. The sun will heat the car fast and you'll be chasing drying water (and waterspots).
Old 08-03-2009, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by Greg@DI
Washing black paint is really no different than any other color. The only difference I notice is that darker colors will get hot faster than lighter colors and they show imperfections more. I care for them both in the same way though by washing carefully with quality tools. I suggest reading our Detailing Guide - Washing and Drying Section to make sure you have the best technique possible. I would make sure you leave the vehicle in the shade for as long as possible before washing. Get all the products out and ready to use and then back the car our and start washing. I rinse the entire car every two minutes or less, especially if it's sunny out. As soon as you are done thoroughly rinsing the paint, bring it back under a shaded area. I dry the paint off with the DI Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towel - 36" x 24". If you need any more new products check out our DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package. You may also want to look at the Dodo Juice Time to Dry Drying Detailer - 250 ml which helps you dry the vehicle faster.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Excellent info...In addition to above, I also do the following:

Drying:

1. I get off most of the remaining water off the car with the microfiber. I just squeeze the saturated microfiber towel and go through each section of the car until it is relatively dry.

2. Open all doors, hood, trunk, and gas cap cover and get the water in the areas where they collect in those areas.

Finishing:

1. This is the reason I don't worry about the dried water streaks from drying.
2. I use Poorboy's World Quick Detailer Plus with a two microfiber towel system. I spray onto the car the Poorboys Detailer, then distribute the detailer solution through one moderate sized section (approx 2x2 section) at a time, then finish with the other microfiber towel to a gloss.

NOTE: I just started using the Poorboy's Detailer recently and I have to say it has been the best product I have used with respect to detailer sprays. It drys quickly, easy to wipe off, and adds depth and gloss to my black paint (both E55 and SL65).

Also, I have ordered a lot of stuff from Detailed Image and it has been an easy and efficient process. If you love your car, then they are the place to go for product.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:50 PM

Drying any color car

1. A ******* is always the best way to dry the car, so use compressed air and your favorite trigger-valve.

2. Blow the water off the car, using a nice microfiber to touch up the few little dribbles of H2O that just don't want to be blown.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
Originally Posted by Jen_Kenne
1. A ******* is always the best way to dry the car....
I tried to convince the wife of that too, but couldn't hold a straight face
Old 08-03-2009, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Azn_C300
I tried to convince the wife of that too, but couldn't hold a straight face
Just keep trying. As Cesar Milan says, you want to create a calm, submissive state of mind.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:49 PM

2007 SL550
If you have to dry it out in the sun or even in high heat but shady areas keep a spray bottle of distilled water on hand. If you see an area start to spot up while your drying spray a fine mist over that area will help alot.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Almost a Member!

SL-500
After washing, wipe it with dry cotton cloth.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by anistufy
After washing, wipe it with dry cotton cloth.
Where's the fun in that?
Old 09-20-2009, 11:18 AM

2010 E350 4Matic w/sport package
This summer I started using a Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towel and it is outstanding.

The steps I take in drying my car (well 1st I keep it in the garage until shade is over my driveway then pull it out and wash in the shade) actually starts with the hose. I click over to the nozzle that sort of just pours out as if it was trickling down a river, so much of the water starts to bead off. Open up the hood, trunk, doors, gas door and let all excess water drip off. I then use the waffle towel which is just amazing, from there I whip out the ol trusty leaf blower (have to go get a compressor soon) and work the car over for a while, then finish up with a micro fiber towel and McGuires quick detail. I use to use the pink Gliptone stuff but it does not give the shine that McGuires does, though you need to finish with a damp microfiber towel when using McGuires to make sure all of the product (probably the silicone) is off but it gives the best shine out of any quick detailer I have ever used.