Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Transparent Film - pros and cons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 10:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 SL550, 2015 C300
Transparent Film - pros and cons

A freind recently purchased a pristine 2006 SL500. The dealer is trying to sell her on a transparent film coating for hundreds of dollars. This car is garaged in Northern California. The dealers have tried the same pitch on me for my last three cars. I've never done it because I've never understood the concept of having a local mechanic put plastic over a paint job that Mercedes has invested millions to perfect. Plus, how can the shine be as good, does the plastic yellow over time, do the edges start coming away, etc. etc. Isn't this just a gimmick that's pure profit for the dealers? I'd appreciate your input, pro and con. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
If you do it, don't go through the dealer. They just outsource it to others and tack on an MB markup. Might as well go straight to the source and cut out the middleman.

That being said...

Transparent film is a great great absolutely great mod and the first mod I'd recommend to everyone. There's a difference between cheap film and the quality stuff, and like most things, you get what you paid for. MB paint has be reformulate to be more scratch resistant, but the trade-off is it chips easily. I promise you, after a few months to a year driving, you will see chips on your front paint. Most of the high end exotics now have learned and get wrapped, so don't think MBs are too good for this treatment. Good film will allow full UV pass through and won't yellow, crack, or peel. I'd opt for a custom full wrap instead of a precut kit so you don't see any line edges. You can wax, polish, and seal a clear bra/film it just as you would normally.

You mentioned you're in norcal.....I'd highly recommend going to Premier in Fremont (http://www.premiermobilegroup.com/). They do my car and a bunch of my friend's cars. Top notch material and top notch work.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 SL550, 2015 C300
Transparent paint cover

Nice to hear you have had a good experience with this option. Actually, the nano paint technology on my newer Mercedes (2008 and 2009) doesn't chip at all like my 2001 did. I wonder if the darker colors when covered in the plastic film actually have the depth of shine they would have if they were protected in the traditional way. Doesn't it scratch like any other plastic? Do you clay, polish, and wax it? Thanks for the input.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
Originally Posted by Jim K
Nice to hear you have had a good experience with this option. Actually, the nano paint technology on my newer Mercedes (2008 and 2009) doesn't chip at all like my 2001 did. I wonder if the darker colors when covered in the plastic film actually have the depth of shine they would have if they were protected in the traditional way. Doesn't it scratch like any other plastic? Do you clay, polish, and wax it? Thanks for the input.
From what I understand, the new nano paint in 08+ is supposed to chip easily and be more scratch resistant. It's a harder paint. It can still scratch and get swirls like normal, but you can easily polish it off. And yes, I clay, polish, seal, and wax it as normal.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63, S550
I keep my paint in excellent condition, hardly any swirls.

The same could not be said about the clear bra. After a year the clear bra on the hood looked so dull compared to the paint I removed it. However I kept the clear bra on the bumper because the swirls are harder to see.

I searched all over Autopia to find out how to remove swirls and scratches from clear bras but there really isn't a way to do it. All I did was wash it with the rest of the car however I was not extremely careful with it as I am with the painted surfaces on my car.

I did get a couple chips on the hood but I just use touch-up paint. I just hate the fact that the clear bra will never look as shiney as the painted surfaces and on a black car it stands out even more.