Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Swirl Marks & Scratches

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 AWD
Unhappy Swirl Marks & Scratches

Just purchased my first Benz ! New from the dealer it had some light surface scratches. So I asked to have it buffed out. When I got the 2009 C300 AWD Black car back the surface is full of swirl marks !! They said they buffed and applied four coats of car wax but under florescent light at night or in bright sunshine you can see swirl marks everywhere including the plastic areas such as bumpers. The finish looks terrible up close. Should this be?
Thanks - JC
Old 09-25-2009, 02:07 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JC in my opinion a car should come with bare minimal swirls but unfortunately this is rarely the case. Most cars do come with quite a bit of swirls and really fine scratches so your experience is quite normal. Check out this detail on a brand new Z06 and the imperfections it came with. Our in house detailing expert Todd @ Esoteric Auto Detail does an amazing job of restoring the paint to like new. If you would like help bringing your paint back to brand new please let me know I'd be happy to help you.

Greg @ DI
Old 09-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
Originally Posted by NY-C300
Just purchased my first Benz ! New from the dealer it had some light surface scratches. So I asked to have it buffed out. When I got the 2009 C300 AWD Black car back the surface is full of swirl marks !! They said they buffed and applied four coats of car wax but under florescent light at night or in bright sunshine you can see swirl marks everywhere including the plastic areas such as bumpers. The finish looks terrible up close. Should this be?
Thanks - JC
That's rather unfortunate. Your C-Class is painted with the new cermiclear from PPG. There are special polishes that need to be used in order to "correct" the paint of imperfections such as swirls. Unfortunately, most dealers lack the expertise of a true detailer. You have a few options. Depending on where you live, there may be some great detailers that would be qualified to remedy the situation. The other option is to polish the paint yourself. There are great advancements in our industry that have made it safe and effective for DIY detailers to get excellent results. Which one of those options sounds like one you'd be comfortable with?
Old 09-28-2009, 08:03 AM

C300 AWD
MoeMistry,
Thanks for the info, I'd like to try and detail the vehicle myself. Any Suggestions?

Thanks - JC
Old 09-28-2009, 08:25 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
Originally Posted by NY-C300
MoeMistry,
Thanks for the info, I'd like to try and detail the vehicle myself. Any Suggestions?

Thanks - JC
Here are a few polish kits we offer:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...its/Categories

To do the job properly, you'll definitely need a machine polisher. The only machine we sell is the flex polisher:

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...olisher/Detail

This has become the industry standard as far as dual-action polishers go. It corrects almost like a high-speed rotary, but is as safe as a porter cable 7424. This means 90+% of the swirls are legitimately removed when used with the proper pad/polish combo and very little to no risk of burning or damaging the paint finish