Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Reparing Rusted Paint Chips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E320 Sport
Reparing Rusted Paint Chips

Hey everyone! I need some help evaluating the severity of some paint chip/rust issues. Basically I bought a 2002 e320 in June that had a few rock chips in the paint, some of which have now begun to rust while I wasn't looking.

If anyone could give me some second opinions on the severity of this rust and how to deal with it. Can I just scrape out the visible rust, use some kind of rust converter prior to primer, and fill in with touch-up paint? Or will rust still be spreading under the paint and bite me in the *** later? What would you guys do and/or use to fix this? I'm totally new to all of this so any help would be much appreciated.

(Sorry for picture quality, paint is very reflective!) The paint is Obsidian Black Metallic (code 197), btw.

Here's one on my roof above my windshield with a dime for size comparison (they are all about this same size). There is a slight blue discoloring to the paint around the chip. Does that mean there is rust underneath where it's discolored?

One of several on my hood. The ones on my hood vary in depth and a few have no rust, but some have rust at the bottom and the same bluish outline around the chip.

The nasty one on the passenger side window panel. I'm almost certain there is rust under this one. You can faintly see the bubbling that spreads backward from it.

Another of the window panel chip with dime for size comparison.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by AtroxDeorum; 09-29-2009 at 09:24 AM.