Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Matte / Satin Black Paint for Car ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 11:54 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C63 Black Series, 2003 Hummer H1 KSC2, 2003 Hummer H1 HMCO, 1997 Hummer H1 HMC4, 1969 Jaguar E
Matte / Satin Black Paint for Car ???

Hey guys, I am thinking about painting one of my cars Matte / Satin Black and would like to know if anyone has done it.

What did you use - single stage or matte clear coat over back base.

Anything to look out for?

What brand is best?

How does the paint hold up over time?

Can you care for it like normal paint... can you wax to protect?

Any info will be great. Thanks guys.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Matte or Satin Finish Paint

Do not polish or wet-sand a matte clear, as the flattening agents that cause the matte appearance (textured finish) by diffuse reflection are retained very close to the surface. By levelling the surface the light will be reflected evenly and result in a ‘shine’. Use a rotary polisher and an ultra soft, zero abrasive cut (Lake County CCS Concourse Gold (100 PPI) foam pad) with a mild chemical paint cleaner/ polish (Zaino Z-AIO - All in One) it will remove surface marring and leave it flat and dull.

Use a clear polymer (Zaino Z-CS - Clear Seal) to provide surface protection

Author of 110 in-depth, unbiased “Technical Detailing Papers” and a 560 page "Automotive Detailing, Inside & Out" a knowledge base for the perfectionist TOGWT ™ Ltd copyright 2002-2009, all rights reserved
Old 11-06-2009, 02:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C63 Black Series, 2003 Hummer H1 KSC2, 2003 Hummer H1 HMCO, 1997 Hummer H1 HMC4, 1969 Jaguar E
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Matte or Satin Finish Paint

Use a rotary polisher and an ultra soft, zero abrasive cut (Lake County CCS Concourse Gold (100 PPI) foam pad) with a mild chemical paint cleaner/ polish (Zaino Z-AIO - All in One) it will remove surface marring and leave it flat and dull.

Use a clear polymer (Zaino Z-CS - Clear Seal) to provide surface protection
Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the subject... Would these steps be for general monthly maintenance or something my painter will need to do?