Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Faded Door Handles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 03:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'95 S500 '93 500 SEL
Faded Door Handles

What will bring the color back to faded black door handles and not leave a residue? I have heard of Forever Back, Back to Black and Black Wow but have never tried them. My main concern is that whatever is best will not leave a greasy or black residue on my hands when I open the car.

Thanks for the help,

Kevin
Old 01-25-2010, 08:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SOLD both: 1987 560SL 2003 ML320
There are a dozen products and I've even heard of using peanut butter. Yuck. I have used 303, Mothers Back to Black, Griots vinyl/rubber dressing, and Black Wow. Only the Black Wow gave results that I would call acceptable. Following the directions is very important, but the results are worth the cost and delicate application. Good luck!!!
Old 01-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NA
Swissvax Seal Feed is another great choice. It will give the faded surface a much richer and even look without leaving behind any greasy residue. The added benefit of using Seal Feed is that it can be used on all the exterior black rubber and plastic trim. You can use it to treat the door gaskets as well.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...eed-gum/Detail

Old 01-26-2010, 08:43 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NA
To add even more to Moe's suggestion, you need to clean the pieces first.

A lot of the discoloration that you see on things like door handles, trim moldings, and plastic trim pieces like those that lie at the base of the windshield, is due to oxidation.

First clean the plastic and rubber pieces with something like the 1Z Plastic Cleaner.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...C-vinyl/Detail

It will remove the oxidation and bring back a lot of the original color and luster to those plastic and rubber parts. Then follow up with the seal feed to condition them and replace a lot of the oils and other components that are damaged and removed by the sun and the oxidation process.

To add something else, one of my favorite uses for the Plastic Cleaner is on wheel wells. Those plastic parts see the harshest conditions and are subjected to all the elements. The plastic cleaner helps to keep them looking factory fresh all the time, which really helps to draw even more attention to your wheels, rather than to some staining or other substances on the wheel wells around them.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SOLD both: 1987 560SL 2003 ML320
Hmmm. I would not have thought of that (plastic cleaner on fender well panels) but it makes perfect sense. Instead of just pounding these plastic panels with APC or other strong cleaners, hit'em with some of the 1Z AFTER they get clean. Great tip - thanks for making the light bulb come on!