Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Cost and Phrasing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML350
Cost and Phrasing?

I am looking to have a detailing (inside and out) performed on my C230K. It definitely has some bruises from the previous owner, and would benefit from professional help.

The question is, what do I say I want done, or does the person/shop go over what they see as problem areas and speak to what they are going to do? What does one normally pay? The car does not require and bondo/respraying (unless they believe they can fix the bumper cover and or significant (in my mind) hood dent).

I'm really just looking for an interior detailing and an outside strip/buff/polish.

Thank you MBW.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:09 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
Basically, the more that you say, the better.

First, take care in finding someone to do the job. Check references, get some recommendations, talk to some detailers and see some of the work that they have done.

First off, where are you located? That might allow us to recommend a few people for you.

Second, figure out what needs to be done and what you want to be done. As you talk to a few detailers, see what they suggest. Full paint correction? Partial paint correction? Just a cleaning, inside and out?

At a minimum, starting with the exterior, you want a full and thorough cleaning. Wheels, engine bay, paint. You want everything to be clayed to remove surface contaminants, and then you want some protective barrier applied. Wax, sealant, etc. Then with the interior, a full cleaning again, including all surfaces, glass, etc.

When looking at a detailers work, look for the small details. Check out the vents, look for dust and dirt or smears, make sure that things were actually cleaned rather than just wiped down. Check crevices in the seats for debris that they missed, etc.

The key here is going to be communication. Talk to everyone, see what they suggest, say what you want, and just spell it out for them. You want someone that makes you feel at ease with the process, someone that you can easily trust. They should be able to answer your questions, make you understand what they can do, and what needs to be done, and the benefits. The more that things can be spelled out, the more at ease that they can make you feel, and the more confident that you can be in their ability to exceed your expectations, the better off that you are going to be.

Hope that helps and doesn't just create more questions that need to be answered. If you have any other questions, let me know. We take the education part of our job just as seriously as the detailing.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Selecting a Professional Detailer

Some things you may want to consider;

• Professional Detailer should have been in (full-time) business for at least one year
• Should have business licensed and be state registered
• Check with the local Better Business Bureau
• Request a reputable detailer’s name (s) on one of the detailing forums
• Also ask them where they received their training and what products they use.
• Ask the prospective detailer for photographs of vehicles they have done recently (most detailers have a portfolio)
• Obtain (telephone number) references from three recent clients and check them
• Ask them what detailing products they use (known brand names are preferable)
• How long they have been in business
• Do they offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee?
• Ensure they have adequate insurance cover and that they are a registered business
• Do they take major credit cards and / or Pay Pal?
• Discuss a price and if satisfied set-up an appointment
• If they quote a very low price it could reflect the quality of service offered.
• Mobile detailer’s; are they environmentally compliant?
Once you’ve selected a detailer be specific about what services you require (i.e. full vehicle detail, exterior paint renovation, interior detailing, etc) get an agreed upon estimate before work commences
Old 01-28-2010, 10:13 PM

2007 ML350
I am in the South NJ area. I also work in Horsham, PA 19044, and go to evening courses at Saint Joseph's University (Philadelphia), so I am all over.

I have a parents house in North/Central NJ (07960).

So 'NJ' would work, as would Philadelphia.

p3

Thank you for the posts guys.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:27 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
Originally Posted by GlisteningTech
Basically, the more that you say, the better.

First, take care in finding someone to do the job. Check references, get some recommendations, talk to some detailers and see some of the work that they have done.

First off, where are you located? That might allow us to recommend a few people for you.

Second, figure out what needs to be done and what you want to be done. As you talk to a few detailers, see what they suggest. Full paint correction? Partial paint correction? Just a cleaning, inside and out?

At a minimum, starting with the exterior, you want a full and thorough cleaning. Wheels, engine bay, paint. You want everything to be clayed to remove surface contaminants, and then you want some protective barrier applied. Wax, sealant, etc. Then with the interior, a full cleaning again, including all surfaces, glass, etc.

When looking at a detailers work, look for the small details. Check out the vents, look for dust and dirt or smears, make sure that things were actually cleaned rather than just wiped down. Check crevices in the seats for debris that they missed, etc.

The key here is going to be communication. Talk to everyone, see what they suggest, say what you want, and just spell it out for them. You want someone that makes you feel at ease with the process, someone that you can easily trust. They should be able to answer your questions, make you understand what they can do, and what needs to be done, and the benefits. The more that things can be spelled out, the more at ease that they can make you feel, and the more confident that you can be in their ability to exceed your expectations, the better off that you are going to be.

Hope that helps and doesn't just create more questions that need to be answered. If you have any other questions, let me know. We take the education part of our job just as seriously as the detailing.
Great response Jon...I'd also add to ask each detailer's routine as well. A lot of times, people are more focused on a price. What good is a price for a "detail" if one detailer has 20 steps but another has 40 steps? You need to know what you're paying for and that means you should have the detailer walk you through his/her work. By the way, by steps, I don't mean rinsing the car 20 times on various areas as a step. I mean, tires, wheels, wheel wells, door jams, glass, claying, polishing, waxing, etc.

Ask quality questions, you'll get quality answers. You're paying for a detailer's time and expertise. You'll get a range of $20-200+ /hr depending on geographic location and the detailer's skill level. You're on the right path and thanks for asking a great question.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by phoenix_iii
I am looking to have a detailing (inside and out) performed on my C230K. It definitely has some bruises from the previous owner, and would benefit from professional help.

The question is, what do I say I want done, or does the person/shop go over what they see as problem areas and speak to what they are going to do? What does one normally pay? The car does not require and bondo/respraying (unless they believe they can fix the bumper cover and or significant (in my mind) hood dent).

I'm really just looking for an interior detailing and an outside strip/buff/polish.

Thank you MBW.
Where in South Jersey are you? I'm there too. I'm a little crazy about detailing my own cars but can provide guidance if you ever intend to do it yourself. I have a few pictures in my photo album.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:06 AM

2007 ML350
Originally Posted by pinebaron
Where in South Jersey are you? I'm there too. I'm a little crazy about detailing my own cars but can provide guidance if you ever intend to do it yourself. I have a few pictures in my photo album.

Lol. Medford. You're less than 5/10 miles from me. =)

I could definitely use some guideance (can wait for the weather to get warm). Car has some significant spots (was a city car before I got her) that need professional help, input welcome for sure.

Let's see if I can 'friend you' or something on this board...