Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

mbtex: denim dye or wear?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2010 | 09:04 PM

07 GL320 CDI
mbtex: denim dye or wear?

Have macademia MBtex in the new (to us) GL. On the driver/entry side thigh bolster there is a light, almost grey 'tinge' on the tops of the 'pebbles' in the seat cover. Is this denim dye or wear? The truck is 2.5yrs/25k mi old. Autoglym shampoo wont clear it yet it cleaned the rest of the seat surface quite well.

If its dye, is there a solution to remove it? I've read of leather getting color warn off but didn't know if MBtex did the same thing. Its not real bad, but I'd like to get a handle on it...
Old 02-06-2010 | 05:39 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
Originally Posted by mandkole
Have macademia MBtex in the new (to us) GL. On the driver/entry side thigh bolster there is a light, almost grey 'tinge' on the tops of the 'pebbles' in the seat cover. Is this denim dye or wear? The truck is 2.5yrs/25k mi old. Autoglym shampoo wont clear it yet it cleaned the rest of the seat surface quite well.

If its dye, is there a solution to remove it? I've read of leather getting color warn off but didn't know if MBtex did the same thing. Its not real bad, but I'd like to get a handle on it...
The autoglym should have taken care of it. Did you try spraying the product on and agitating the leather with a medium-stiff brush?
Old 02-06-2010 | 10:43 AM

07 GL320 CDI
Moe, yeah I used a small potato brush (almost perfect for this job but my wife got a little pissed..). I have no concern with the Autoglym--It and the brush worked great on all of the seats, headliner, plastic trim, etc. Good stuff (the carpet gets the treatment today). I planned to put the Einsett leather care on it next but want to wait until this area is fixed. Is MBtex porous and could the dye get into it?
Old 02-06-2010 | 09:58 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
I had that same dye issue on gray leather seats in my Tahoe from wearing a really dark pair of Luckys, and the AutoGlym cleared it up after a few applications.

Try hitting it a few more times, with gentle agitation with your brush, and see if that makes any difference.

Also, good pull on the potato brush. They are just about the right size and have a good handle. You do need to be careful though, the stiffer the bristles on the brush, the more "cut" that it will have when cleaning.

I typically use a medium bristle Horse Hair brush. Something like what you would use to polish your shoes. It has the right bristle tension and density to break up all the dirt in the interior. I use that brush on door panels, dash panels, seats, etc. The only thing that you would need a stiffer bristled brush for is carpets.