Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Fender wells/arches...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
Fender wells/arches...

have you found any formula to consistenly keep your fender wells looking clean? Anyone tried any of that Griot's fender well trim stuff? I imagine it's just like tire shine, but for your inner fenders. Dirty fenders makes your car look OLD! Any suggestions?
Old 02-18-2010, 05:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Wheel Wells

Those plastic parts see the harshest conditions and are subjected to all the elements. The liner is usually made from SMC (an unsaturated polyester resin) periodically remove the wheels (one at a time utilizing a car jack and / or axle stands) to enable cleaning the back of the wheel, callipers and give better access to the wheel wells. Ensure that the vehicle body is secure by placing on axle stands.

1. Rinse wheel well thoroughly with water.
2. Use a 1:1 solution of P21 Total Auto Wash a d-limonene (citrus) based cleaner and water in a spray bottle, spray the wheel wells and let the solution dwell for 3-5 min
3. Agitate and brush the road dirt / grime the wheel well and suspension parts, brake callipers, etc
4. Spray the area thoroughly with a high pressure water spray
5. Remove any road asphalt with a safe solvent (Stoners Tarminator)
6. Repeat if necessary
7. Use P21S Polishing Soap on all metal parts (taking care to avoid the brakes)
8. Rinse using a high pressure hose / nozzle to remove soap residue
9. I recommended wearing rubber gloves, once finished, rinse the wheel wells and dry them with an old terry towel.
10. Once they have thoroughly dried, spray with 1z einszett Tiefenpfleger -Vinyl-Rubber Care and Protectant, Adam’s Undercarriage Detailer or Chemical Guys Bare Bones (avoid spraying the brake rotor)

These products leave a matte finish, (not solvent-based silicone dressings) without grease that attracts dirt / dust. Provides protection for the plastic ducts

An extract from one of a series of unbiased Detailing Technical Papers, a library of educational materials that has become the #1 reference for car care on the Internet.© TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2010, all rights reserved.

Chances are you'll learn something and advance your knowledge of detailing if you read any of these.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
Thanks for the good info....

I was stupid enough to miss the sticky above....it all helps.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:08 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NA
For something like the fender wells, we use the Einszett Vinyl and Rubber care.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...Care%2C/Detail

We like this one because it leaves a factory looking finish, it isn't glossy, and it is water based.

The water based portion is especially important because a lot of the petroleum based dressings that are designed for undercarraige and fender wells can actually dry out the plastics and leave them looking bleached and dried out. They contribute to them losing their color and oxidizing over time, rather than fully protecting them.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500 sport
i use eather the adams undercarage spray or the stoners trim shine.
i like the stoners and i also got tired of ordering car care stuff.
like if i forget im out of some thing then i got to order it and wait and most parts stores have the stoners.ill use a 50/50 mix of simple green and water and give the liner a good spray they wait a few then spray them down.