Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

New Leather Smell

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus IS 350 F Sport
New Leather Smell

Hey guys ......

I've never liked having those JDM little canisters with fragrances in them or worse the dreaded little pine tree on your rearview mirror soo i decided to give this a shot ....

and i love how they make my car smell practically new without any effort at all !! I got a canister of 250 little wafers for like $25 and all you do is place one underneath your seat and thus far it looks as if one lasts about a week !! I got the " New Leather " smell but there are almost a dozen other fragrances you can try ! Hmmmm i just realized i don't even have leather hehehhee the MB Tex new smell i guess i should call it.

http://store.weldersource.com/wwsx.html
Old 06-25-2010, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
Originally Posted by omgitselaine
Hey guys ......

I've never liked having those JDM little canisters with fragrances in them or worse the dreaded little pine tree on your rearview mirror soo i decided to give this a shot ....

and i love how they make my car smell practically new without any effort at all !! I got a canister of 250 little wafers for like $25 and all you do is place one underneath your seat and thus far it looks as if one lasts about a week !! I got the " New Leather " smell but there are almost a dozen other fragrances you can try ! Hmmmm i just realized i don't even have leather hehehhee the MB Tex new smell i guess i should call it.

http://store.weldersource.com/wwsx.html
How did this work out over the longer term? I'd be interested in the new leather and possibly the 'nu car' variety. But, last time I picked up a a 'new car smell' product, it smelled like wet dog.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
I've used those in the past and they are really good, but I never used the leather or new car smell. I agree with the "wet dog" comment - that's what they usually smell like.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:02 AM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Leather Aroma - once leather hides go through the tanning process a neutralizer is introduced to remove the odour from the fat liquoring and oils used. Leather should therefore have a no smell, however we have become accustomed to a certain odour that is associated with luxury vehicles interiors, ‘burl wood and natural leather'. If you like a 'leather smell' to remind you of what we associate with the smell of natural leather hides.

Interior Leather Scent "Original Condition" is a professional strength, odour’ counteractant’. Long lasting and the only synthetic product I’ve found that actually has a pleasant smell of 'leather' (as opposed to a 'wet dog' smell).

I’ve tested a great number of "leather scented" deodorizers, and was not impressed. Original Condition smells more like real leather than any product on the market – TOTL
Old 06-27-2010, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Leather Aroma - once leather hides go through the tanning process a neutralizer is introduced to remove the odour from the fat liquoring and oils used. Leather should therefore have a no smell, however we have become accustomed to a certain odour that is associated with luxury vehicles interiors, ‘burl wood and natural leather'. If you like a 'leather smell' to remind you of what we associate with the smell of natural leather hides.

Interior Leather Scent "Original Condition" is a professional strength, odour’ counteractant’. Long lasting and the only synthetic product I’ve found that actually has a pleasant smell of 'leather' (as opposed to a 'wet dog' smell).

I’ve tested a great number of "leather scented" deodorizers, and was not impressed. Original Condition smells more like real leather than any product on the market – TOTL
Mate, can you link to where we may buy such a product?
Old 06-27-2010, 05:11 AM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
TOTL - http://www.topoftheline.com/
Old 06-27-2010, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
That link doesn't work.

In which subsection does the product appear? The search function on their website returns too many results to be any good.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
I've found that Zaino Leather in a bottle comes pretty close to the smell of the real thing and so do a lot of other people. Google some of the reviews out there..
Old 06-27-2010, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
Originally Posted by wawy
I've found that Zaino Leather in a bottle comes pretty close to the smell of the real thing and so do a lot of other people. Google some of the reviews out there..
Z-10 works great and that's what I've been using. But it's time consuming to apply it to all the seats to get the smell. I'd be interested in something I could toss under the seat and simply replace to keep a leather smell going.

TOGWT: Do you have a link to this product you referenced? I searched their site and couldn't locate that one you mentioned. Google wasn't much help either.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:09 AM

szfsg
While tanning hides when a neutralizer is introduced to eliminate odors and lubricating oils. Leather should be no odor, but we are used to a certain smell associated with a luxury car inside Burl wood and leather. If you like a perfume's smell,this lather will remind you that we associate the smell of raw leather hides.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
I just sent an email off to topoftheline.com to see if we can get any more information that
TOWGT posted about.

Hope they have something for us.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
Leather scent is old news. This is the new stuff...it's the smell of success!

j/k lol, Zaino Leather in a Bottle is a decent product for getting that leather smell back, but it doesn't last long imo.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:48 PM

2003 C230K Sedan
Zaino leather in a bottle is good stuff, but as mentioned above it does not last long; maybe 2-3 days tops? I've been using the Griot's leather cleaner + rejuvenator combo and It's got the exact same scent as zaino. The griot's (thick paste version, not the liquid spray stuff) is a bit more expensive than zaino's but the leather scent seems to last a bit longer, almost a week from the ML i detailed awhile back.

I'm curious to give TOGWT's suggested product once I can find it, hehe.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
i've always like the Japanese squash smell.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:34 AM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Originally Posted by JimPap
I just sent an email off to topoftheline.com to see if we can get any more information that
TOWGT posted about.

Hope they have something for us.
I searched their website and couldn't find it so let us know their response.

Groit's Garage used to have a leather sent spray but they too seem to have discontinued it.

I buy/use this product when I'm in UK LTT Leather Aroma - http://www.lttleathercare.net/product.asp?product=12

PS: If my wife smelled the sent of a stripper in my car she'd kill me

Last edited by TOGWT; 07-04-2010 at 06:36 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
I'll be glad to let you know as soon as I hear from them.

So far, they haven't replied but it may be due to the long weekend holiday.

It seems that part of the trick in using these scents is to use something that last for more than a few days that isn't too strong when first used. ....and that it doesn't smell like a wet dog.

There was one product I tried that came in a small bottle and had a wick sticking out of it, enclosed in a plastic adjustable shell. Didn't care for the smell but thought the concept was good. We might need to get one of those, empty the existing scent and replace it with one we like. A chore for sure but might work best in the long run.

Last edited by JimPap; 07-04-2010 at 07:14 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:27 PM

Lexus IS 350 F Sport
Originally Posted by Mister Brenton
How did this work out over the longer term? I'd be interested in the new leather and possibly the 'nu car' variety. But, last time I picked up a a 'new car smell' product, it smelled like wet dog.
Hey guys

A quick update on the " new leather "wafers which I've had for about 3 or 4 months. I've been religously been using 2 or 3 new wafers weekly after a wash or interior cleaning and though I can still smell the new leather scent it quickly goes away ?? I think it's because my nose is now so used to the scent that i cant quickly distinguish whether or not it's still there ??

I have about half a can left so I'll use it all up and probably go " in search " of again for that new leather/ car smell !
Old 07-06-2010, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
Originally Posted by omgitselaine
Hey guys

A quick update on the " new leather "wafers which I've had for about 3 or 4 months. I've been religously been using 2 or 3 new wafers weekly after a wash or interior cleaning and though I can still smell the new leather scent it quickly goes away ?? I think it's because my nose is now so used to the scent that i cant quickly distinguish whether or not it's still there ??

I have about half a can left so I'll use it all up and probably go " in search " of again for that new leather/ car smell !

If you join us at our next Jersey picnic, we can stick our noses in there to see if we pick up on it.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:20 PM

Lexus IS 350 F Sport
If you join us at our next Jersey picnic, we can stick our noses in there to see if we pick up on it.
Whoohooo ....... that sounds ummmmm ...... kinky !!! J/K !!
Old 07-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
That's what she said!

P.S. What NJ picnic?
Old 07-06-2010, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

John Deere
Originally Posted by dynomite05
That's what she said!

P.S. What NJ picnic?
Follow along in the Events & Gatherings area. Next Edison meet will take place in August.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Ohh, I didn't know that the Edison meet was a picnic. lol
Old 07-11-2010, 09:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2009 E350 Sport (gone) 2012 E350 (gone ) 2014 E63s ( gone ) 2016 E63S Diamond white 2019 E63s AMG
has anyone used zymol leather conditioner?
any tips how to make the steering wheel feel when its new, mainly to clean it and condition the leather
thanks
Old 07-12-2010, 05:18 AM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Leather steering wheel

Originally Posted by odessit
has anyone used zymol leather conditioner?
any tips how to make the steering wheel feel when its new, mainly to clean it and condition the leather
thanks
<Thread hijacked>

On most leather conditioners the containers label warns against its use on steering wheels as it will make them slippery and unsafe. Oil / cream cannot permeate the leather and therefore remain on the surface; the same thing will apply to seating surfaces

1. Clean the wheel’s leather surface with a leather cleaner (Leather Master Strong Effect Cleaner) (A-Aniline / Non-Coated) (P-Protected / Coated) or a degreaser (P21S Total Auto Wash) diluted 5:1 with warm distilled water in a spray bottle; dependent upon type and extent of soil or stain
2. Using a Medium / hard horse hair brush, or a soft sponge, spray and work the cleaner into foam, lightly scrub surface and immediately wipe with a terry towel to remove excess moisture, especially around stitching (you may need to repeat this process)
3. Then use vacuum extractor or compressed air nozzle to dry
4. Once wheel is thoroughly dry apply a leather protection (Leather Master’s Leather Protection) (A-Aniline / Non-Coated) (P-Protected / Coated)
5. For oil or grease stains use Leather Master Leather Degreaser (A-Aniline / Non-Coated) (P-Protected / Coated) (check for colour fastness) this aerosol product is ideal for cleaning oily stains; it dissolves and removes oil and grease from leather surface. This cleaner can be applied for cleaning all types of leather.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Originally Posted by JimPap
I'll be glad to let you know as soon as I hear from them.

So far, they haven't replied but it may be due to the long weekend holiday.
Still no answer from them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: New Leather Smell