Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Interior cleaning products....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 03:46 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
99 c43,90 mustang gt supercharged convertible,07 acura tl type s, Hummer H3t pickup
Interior cleaning products....

What is a good product to use on dash,door panels and interior plastics to clean and leave a nice matte finish? This is for my 99 C43.Thanks.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
Meguires interior quick detail spray.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
303 aerospace protectant

http://www.detailedimage.com/303-M2/...-P12/16-oz-S1/
Old 03-14-2010, 11:03 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NA
Originally Posted by 99CEEFOURTHREE
What is a good product to use on dash,door panels and interior plastics to clean and leave a nice matte finish? This is for my 99 C43.Thanks.
First clean all surfaces (plastic, vinyl, carpets, leather, etc.) with Autoglym Interior Shampoo. This will remove dirt, oils, previous products, etc. leaving you with a clean blank slate.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...ttle%2C/Detail

If you want a matte finish, then use einszett Cockpit Premium. Think of this as an interior detail spray that can be used on dash, nav screen, leather, wood, plastic, etc. Only place you can't use it is on fabrics like carpets, suede, alcantara, etc.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...00mL%2C/Detail
Old 03-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08 STI
I would say if you want a matte finish that looks exactly like you got it from new I would use einszett Cockpit our number 1 selling interior product.

if you like a little sheen on your dash the 303 is a great product.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Interior (Cockpit) Cleaning

Cabin - Iz einszett Cockpit Premium, an interior treatment developed specifically for the cockpit providing an original factory matte finish. For use on dash, vinyl seats, doors handles, trim, stereo/head units, steering wheel (polyurethane coated) and clear plastic. Cleans components and contains (UV) protection that prevents fading from the sun that occurs over time. The gentle formula is water-based and free of oils providing a flat matte, original showroom finish. Non-slip finish allows for application on the steering wheel and gear-shift knob

Carbon Fibre –Wipe with a clean damp micro fibre cloth and apply a very thin coat of Klasse All-In-One

Fabric seats -303™ Rug / Upholstery Cleaner & Spot Remover an industrial strength concentrate. It is designed to accomplish even the toughest, heaviest-duty cleaning jobs safely, contains no caustics, acids or solvents.

This non-flammable, non-fuming, and odourless product rinses residue free. Duragloss FC (Fabric & Carpet Cleaner) aerosol foam is a blend of surfactants, which encapsulates and gently foams away soil, oil and grease from fabric and carpet surfaces. Brush fabric and then use a hot water extractor system. Spot cleaning can be done without leaving rings on fabric. Follow with a heated water extractor system. (See also “Carpet Cleaning” article)

Carbon Fibre Cloth - or carbon fibre fabrics are all names for the black woven carbon fibre reinforcement used in many of today's advanced composites.

Vinyl interior trim cleaning- the interior trim consists of the dash, vents, hard plastic surfaces and vinyl trim. These surfaces all can be cleaned using a damp micro fibre towel and a 5:1 Woolite / distilled water solution and with a water-based, anti-static cleaner Iz einszett Cockpit Premium; even at high temperatures, its thermo-stable action protects the product against break-down or 1Z Cockpit Premium (inc UV protection) as a matte finish dressing. Iz einszett Vinyl-Rubber Care + Protectant 'Tiefenpfleger'

Plastic - For all plastic surfaces (BTI Chemicals Plexus® Plastic Polish & Cleaner) including wood, as they are protected with a urethane clear coat, Blackfire One Step, Plastic Cleaner, Polish & Glaze

Seat Belts
• For spot stains use a fabric cleaner 303 ™ Cleaner & Spot Remover
• Pull the belts from the retractor and gently close the door on the belt, clean and allow to air dry before opening the door and retracting the belt. Do not use bleach, strong detergents, or dye on the seat belts as this may severely weaken them and render them ineffective in a crash.
• Once fabric is dry apply a fabric protection (303 ™ High Tech Fabric Guard)
• While you are cleaning the belts, take the opportunity to closely inspect them for damage and security of attachment, ensure here are no cuts, tears or abrasions (you should always inspect for damage etc if they get caught by a closing door)After a while the seat belt mechanism becomes slow and / or will not retract when released.
• This can be avoided by cleaning the upper anchor; as the seatbelt retracts it leaves behind a film of dirt, which builds up over time. Use compressed air to remove dust and then using a Q- tip and some Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) you can clean the seat belt anchor / retracting mechanism. Once clean add some Plexus Plastic Cleaner to provide lubrication.
• Maintenance clean seat belts with 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover™ / distilled water solution

Leather – a 6:1 solution of Leather Master’s Soft Cleaner and distilled water and Leather Master Protection, as a shield against stains etc
Washable surfaces - Distilled water / Woolite 10:1 or 303™ Cleaner & Spot Remover

Glass surfaces - Stoner's Invisible Glass and a (Norwex) glass cleaning cloth with a super tight knit. Eimann Fabrik Clear Vision II Glass Cleaner with a micro fibre towel

Headliner - Duragloss 451 Fabric & Carpet Cleaner Aerosol Foam (FC) is a blend of surfactants, which gently foam away soil, oil and grease from fabric and carpet surfaces. Spot cleaning can be done without leaving rings on fabrics, carpet and velour. Spray onto micro fibre towel and gently agitate surface with a very light pressure

Wood (urethane protected) surfaces – Klasse or Zaino All-In-One (AIO)

An extract from one of a series of unbiased Detailing Technical Papers, a library of educational materials that has become the #1 reference for car care on the Internet

Chances are you'll learn something about detailing if you read any of these; although these articles will not improve your detailing skills, lead to a successful business or change your life. Applying what you learn from it, however, will. That's where your commitment comes in - you need to make a commitment to yourself right now that you will take action on what you learn.

© TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2010, all rights reserved
Old 03-16-2010, 09:24 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts
'06 E55
What about the perforated leather seats esp the one that are heated and ventilated ? I have been told that once the protected clear coat on these seats are gone then the seats would not only look shinier but they would be slippier as well.
Thanks
Old 03-19-2010, 05:39 PM

2007 Fiat Panda 1.3 JTD
+1 for 1Z Cockpit Premium
Old 03-20-2010, 07:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Leather Master's Foam Cleaner (N-Nubuck / Alcantara® and Perforated leather ) is a solvent free pump action product, which is extremely efficient for the cleaning of general soiling and water based stains on Nubuck, brushed aniline suede and perforated leathers. Always pre-test the product on a hidden area. This cleaner is an aerosol version of Leather Master™ Strong Cleaner.

The advantage of foam over liquid is the minimum amount of moisture, very important for cleaning absorbent materials. Clean the surface with a Leather Master™ cleaning pad, or use the foam cleaner. The foam created by this aerosol has the consistency of shaving cream, making it ideal for sensitive leather.

Do not allow to dry as it can leave spot marks. For heavily soiled areas, or where the leather has become ingrained such as in creases in the leather, a soft brush can be used to agitate and loosen the dirt.

An extract from one of a series of unbiased Detailing Technical Papers, a library of educational materials that has become the #1 reference for car care on the Internet

Chances are you'll learn something about detailing if you read any of these; although these articles will not improve your detailing skills, lead to a successful business or change your life. Applying what you learn from it, however, will. That's where your commitment comes in - you need to make a commitment to yourself right now that you will take action on what you learn.

© TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2010, all rights reserved
Old 03-22-2010, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
Originally Posted by 99CEEFOURTHREE
For fabric covered surfaces such as the headliner, lower door panels and panels under dash I have had excellent results with the Magic Eraser pads sold at the grocery store. But I highly discourage you from using it on hard and semi-hard vinyl like dash, door sills, seats, etc. as it seems to soften and dull them.

Good luck.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:43 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
Originally Posted by RichardM98
For fabric covered surfaces such as the headliner, lower door panels and panels under dash I have had excellent results with the Magic Eraser pads sold at the grocery store. But I highly discourage you from using it on hard and semi-hard vinyl like dash, door sills, seats, etc. as it seems to soften and dull them.

Good luck.
I'd be very careful with using things like the magic eraser. I don't get why anyone would rather not use a product specifically made for automotive use. You honestly only save a few buck by using household stuff, but risk costly repairs. Not worth the trade off IMHO.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
I'd be very careful with using things like the magic eraser. I don't get why anyone would rather not use a product specifically made for automotive use. You honestly only save a few buck by using household stuff, but risk costly repairs. Not worth the trade off IMHO.
Hi Moe -

Generally, I use job-specific automotive cleaning products. Some work well and some not so good. One cleaning issue I had when I bought my E-class wagon was shoe scuff marks on the lower left door panel where the speaker is located. Because of the speaker I wanted as 'dry' a solution (no pun) as possible. Someone on one of these sites was recommending Magic Eraser for cleaning some of the fabric panels so I tried it and well, magic! I've been cleaning my own cars for over 50 years and it takes a little bit to impress me.

It's been two years since I started using Magic Eraser and I've seen no problems. Of course, I only do some touch up about every 6 mos. now.

But you make a good point. I always recommend MB approved fluids and filters to people doing maintenance and repairs vs. trying to save a buck.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
Originally Posted by RichardM98
Hi Moe -

Generally, I use job-specific automotive cleaning products. Some work well and some not so good. One cleaning issue I had when I bought my E-class wagon was shoe scuff marks on the lower left door panel where the speaker is located. Because of the speaker I wanted as 'dry' a solution (no pun) as possible. Someone on one of these sites was recommending Magic Eraser for cleaning some of the fabric panels so I tried it and well, magic! I've been cleaning my own cars for over 50 years and it takes a little bit to impress me.

It's been two years since I started using Magic Eraser and I've seen no problems. Of course, I only do some touch up about every 6 mos. now.

But you make a good point. I always recommend MB approved fluids and filters to people doing maintenance and repairs vs. trying to save a buck.
The great thing about forums now days is that you can learn a lot from the sponsors and know your options of products to choose from. Most people's extent of knowledge is what's on the shelf at the local auto parts store or walmart. There are lots of excellent products out there in the automotive detailing world that many consumers have not heard of. Our job is to listen to you guys and recommend products that work and are designed to be used for your application.

I know there are many products out there that can serve as multi-taskers...Mr. Clean Eraser seems to be one of them. I just am very cautious with what I used on my cars, and our clients', and would always sway to the side of least aggressive to get the job done while using products intended for an automotive purpose. How we clean scuffs on speaker grills is using autoglym interior shampoo. Spray a little on the towel, and rub the scuff away. This product is also great for cleaning carpets, headliners, suede, alcantara, etc. And it's only around $8.

In a nutshell, strive to educate yourself, find sources you can trust, and use products that are safe and intended for your purpose. With so much information out there, it's hard to distinguish from the fact and hype. It's forums like this that helps us all out by bringing pros and diyers together in a common arena and that's a recipe for success.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:52 PM

'06 E55
Originally Posted by Faast
What about the perforated leather seats esp the one that are heated and ventilated ? I have been told that once the protected clear coat on these seats are gone then the seats would not only look shinier but they would be slippier as well.
Thanks
Still awating the expert opinion here ?
Old 03-24-2010, 11:58 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
Thanks
As long as you use a cleaner that is pH balanced, not to alkaline, and is intended for leather, you'll be fine. You should look into the leatherique process. Very simple in theory and effective too on all sorts of leather.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:39 PM

'06 E55
As long as you use a cleaner that is pH balanced, not to alkaline, and is intended for leather, you'll be fine. You should look into the leatherique process. Very simple in theory and effective too on all sorts of leather.
But to my understanding,the perforations are in the vinyl cover that covers the leather underneath ? This vinyl part is clear-coated ?
So can some one please enlighten as to what product to use ?
Thanks
Old 03-25-2010, 04:31 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
^^ The seats aren't clear coated, they are coated in a water resistant material, a lot like teflon or scotchguard. The point of the coating, is to help them resist water retention.

The concept behind the seats being coated with something that doesn't allow anything to penetrate or absorb is actually kind of an old wives tale. Think of a time when you have seen the seat get wet from the rain or other water on the surface. It is true that it doesn't absorb right away, that is because of the coating that is placed on the seats. But, that coating only makes them water resistant, not waterproof. It will indeed absorb, and that is how you end up with some of the hard or crunchy leather.

The products that we recommended will work well in cleaning all leather types, perforated and non-perforated. Regardless of whether the leather has holes in it or not, it is going to absorb whatever is placed on it. So you treat it initially with the Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil, let that sit and absorb, and then follow that up with the Pristine Clean to finish off the process and leave the seats feeling brand new.

Hope that clarifies some of the confusion.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
But to my understanding,the perforations are in the vinyl cover that covers the leather underneath ? This vinyl part is clear-coated ?
So can some one please enlighten as to what product to use ?
Thanks
To my understanding, leather has no vinyl coating. Otherwise, it would be fake leather. There are coating on the hide itself that protect it from water to a certain point. The simple thing to remember is that real leather was once a living thing. It got all the nourishment it needed from the bloodstream of the cow it came from.

Pre-1990, most coatings were lacquer finish and post 1990, they're water based. Even if there's coating, the leather itself is still porous and water will penetrate it.

Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil isn't really an oil-based product, rather a protein and collagen based emulsion. This means it does not get rancid and have an unpleasant odor if it penetrates through the holes of you perforated seats.

There is quite a bit of misinformation out there, and coming from an OEM coatings supplier, Leatherique has put a lot of those myths to rest for us. We simply supply the facts and hope the common sense outweighs the hype or marketing.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:55 PM

'06 E55
Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil isn't really an oil-based product, rather a protein and collagen based emulsion. This means it does not get rancid and have an unpleasant odor if it penetrates through the holes of you perforated seats.
Need clarification Leatherique Rejuvinator oil ....So does or does it not cause an unpleasant odor ?

With no offense to you guys,but i need one more answer...Would using any of these products esp LRO,cause the seats to lose it's slipperiness ? Right now when you sit on them they feel slippery but certain products make them little rough and tend to lose that slickness ?

Moe,what product do you use personally on such seats.

Thanks fellas for you help.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
Need clarification Leatherique Rejuvinator oil ....So does or does it not cause an unpleasant odor ?

With no offense to you guys,but i need one more answer...Would using any of these products esp LRO,cause the seats to lose it's slipperiness ? Right now when you sit on them they feel slippery but certain products make them little rough and tend to lose that slickness ?

Moe,what product do you use personally on such seats.

Thanks fellas for you help.
No unpleasant odor.

These products are meant to penetrate the hide, remove the dirt, and leave a clean surface behind. You won't have a slick or sticky surface after the application.

We have been using Swissvax Leather Milk for some time but recently switched to leatherique based upon our conversations with detailers and the manufacturer. Their philosophy made sense to us and we liked the fact that all Leatherique does is make leather products. They're not the jack of all trades. For that reason, we decided to carry their line and incorporate their product into our detailing routine. I hope this helps.