Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

designo MAGNO (Satin/Matte) Paint Care Tips?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
designo MAGNO (Satin/Matte) Paint Care Tips?

Can't find much info on designo MAGNO paint care, despite the fact that these matte/satin paints are becoming more relevant, not just for MB.

Since the unique rough clearcoat on these vehicles cannot be waxed or polished, I'm wondering what others are using to maintain the paint. Any suggestions for keeping the paint clean and hydrophobic? Also looking for recommendations on safe ways to remove typical contaminents such as road grease.

Cheers!
Old 01-12-2011, 09:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E55 AMG
Matte paint care

Hey I had a simmilar question last year a friend was wondering how to up keep his matte black lambo, talking to a few top notch detailers, I got a few answers. IsoProAlcohol 50% and Distilled water 50% mix and wipe down, also most quick detailers are safe, but the most interesting and accomodating is the swiss vax line up SwissVax Opaque range specialy formulated for matte finishes. Here is a link to the wax, but they have a whole line, washes etc... hope this info was helpfull. http://www.swissvax.us/merchant.mvc?...ode=MATT-PAINT

good to meet a fellow Toronto, E55 owner as welll. Any mods? year? color?
take care look forward to hearing from you.
MAK
Old 01-13-2011, 06:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Matte (Mat) or Satin Finish Paint

Matte paints has a higher proportion of diffuse reflection and glossy paints have a greater proportion of specula reflection If polished with traditional polishes the finish will become less matte and glossier over time; do not wet-sand or use conventional wax or use an automatic car wash that uses hot wax in the final rinse, as the flattening agents that cause the matte appearance will become ‘levelled ‘

The textured finish is accomplished by a diffused 30 degree reflection and are retained very close to the clear coat surface. By levelling the surface the light will be reflected evenly and result in a ‘shine’.

Use a machine polisher and an ultra soft, zero abrasive cut (Lake County CCS Concourse Gold (100 PPI) foam pad) with a mild chemical paint cleaner (Zaino Z-AIO - All in One) it will remove surface marring and leave it satin matte. Use a clear polymer (Zaino Z-CS - Clear Seal) the key is to add surface protection and depth without adding gloss.

Swisswax Opaque products for matte finish paint and vinyl wraps (Do not use on textured vinyl) have been specifically developed (oil free) to ensure that they don’t change the appearance in matt paint or vinyl wraps.

1. Wash surface with Swisswax (SV) Opaque Car Bath
2. Prior to wax application the wrap needs to be totally free from oils and dirt. Clean all wrapped surfaces with SV Opaque Pre-cleaner.

3. Spray a 100% cotton micro fibre towel and apply to one panel at a time.
4. Wipe off with a clean 100% cotton towel
5. Apply SV Opaque Wax to one panel at a time, this wax will provide depth without adding a shine
6. Allow to dry for 10 minutes before buffing off and moving to the next section.
7. After the wax has out gassed and set-up, allow 2-3 hours and then buff the surface with a soft 100% cotton micro fibre towel
8. Use Quick Finish Opaque as a quick detailer to remove finger marks and smudge
Old 02-02-2011, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 4Matic
Appreciate the rigor in the above approach, but I highly doubt that I will do this. Does anyone have any experience doing a basic wash with products available from an Autozone, etc.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 4Matic
FYI -- I just had my regular car wash do a regular $12 hand wash -- no wax or polish. Car looks great. I think if we avoid waxy car washes, wax, polish, etc. all will be well.