Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

PREP BEFORE SEALER AND WAX

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 c300 sport 4 matic
PREP BEFORE SEALER AND WAX

What is the best way to remove the old sealers/waxes so I can use a sealer to bond effectively. Some have said Dawn dishwashing soap, will that really remove old sealers and wax. Is there something better or will Dawn do the job?
Old 05-20-2010, 09:55 AM

'14 CLA 45
Originally Posted by jcash60
What is the best way to remove the old sealers/waxes so I can use a sealer to bond effectively. Some have said Dawn dishwashing soap, will that really remove old sealers and wax. Is there something better or will Dawn do the job?
Dishwashing soap will do

Or you can also claybar the car, but it will be a bit more expensive than Dawn
Old 05-20-2010, 10:48 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

NA
Stay away from dish soap. It's extremely alkaline and it's not good for the paint.

By the time you've clayed and polished, most of anything you've applied will be removed. We're talking minute amount of stuff left behind as it relates to a sealant. Just apply a few layers of sealant or wax after polishing, and you'll be in great shape. You could also use a citrus cleaner like P21S TAW. Spray the whole car down, let it sit for about 5 minutes, then rinse, and wash like you normally do. TAW is also great at cleaning door jams, tail pipes, engine compartments, wheels, etc. Truly a great multi-purpose product.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...to-wash/Detail
Old 05-20-2010, 03:18 PM

2009 c300 sport 4 matic
Originally Posted by kickR
Dishwashing soap will do

Or you can also claybar the car, but it will be a bit more expensive than Dawn

Hi, kickR. I took your advice and purchased some Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 sealer and wanted to get rid of all previous waxes/sealers. I`ve really inspected the paint and it`s really in good shape so am just going to seal and wax, have not purchased the wax yet but it will be a nuba that can be applied with my PC. Any secrets to applying the Jetseal?

Never used clay before, you only have to clay the horizonal surfaces dont you?

Last edited by jcash60; 05-20-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:31 PM

2009 c300 sport 4 matic
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Stay away from dish soap. It's extremely alkaline and it's not good for the paint.

By the time you've clayed and polished, most of anything you've applied will be removed. We're talking minute amount of stuff left behind as it relates to a sealant. Just apply a few layers of sealant or wax after polishing, and you'll be in great shape. You could also use a citrus cleaner like P21S TAW. Spray the whole car down, let it sit for about 5 minutes, then rinse, and wash like you normally do. TAW is also great at cleaning door jams, tail pipes, engine compartments, wheels, etc. Truly a great multi-purpose product.

http://www.glisteningperfectionstore...to-wash/Detail

My paint is in very good cond. [4000mi.] I really don`t want to remove any clearcoat, so I`m not polishing, just sealing and waxing. I simply want to remove previous layers of sealer/wax. What is your suggestion.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Clear for me strips everything off clean
Old 05-20-2010, 05:37 PM

2009 c300 sport 4 matic
Originally Posted by Azn_C300
Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Clear for me strips everything off clean

Hi Azn. citrus wash, thats good to hear, I`ll get some. Does it have suds like regular car wash?

Went to Chem Guys site and I don`t see citrus wash and 'clean' I see C.W. Gloss but no "clean"
is that something different?

Last edited by jcash60; 05-20-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
Both Citrus Wash & Clear and Citrus Wash & Gloss can strip your LSP. Only difference is CW&G has glossing agents in it. Can't go wrong with either though. Both have amazing suds and you can dilute it down to the point where it will still clean, sud, but won't strip your LSP for an excellent maintenance wash.

Chemical Guys website has a tendency to not post all their products for some reason. Bad webmaster, but can't question the quality of their products. lol. If there's something you need and they don't list, you can always call them up. You can also get them from our forum sponsors Detailed Image and Detailers Domain. DI is running a Pre-Memorial Day special right now. AutoGeek and Detailing.com also carry and do pricematch.

Last edited by Azn_C300; 05-20-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:04 PM

2009 c300 sport 4 matic
Originally Posted by Azn_C300
Both Citrus Wash & Clear and Citrus Wash & Gloss can strip your LSP. Only difference is CW&G has glossing agents in it. Can't go wrong with either though. Both have amazing suds and you can dilute it down to the point where it will still clean, sud, but won't strip your LSP for an excellent maintenance wash.

Chemical Guys website has a tendency to not post all their products for some reason. Bad webmaster, but can't question the quality of their products. lol. If there's something you need and they don't list, you can always call them up. You can also get them from our forum sponsors Detailed Image and Detailers Domain. DI is running a Pre-Memorial Day special right now. AutoGeek and Detailing.com also carry and do pricematch.

Thanks for all the help again, you certainly are a wealth of information here. Jim
Old 05-21-2010, 02:30 PM

'14 CLA 45
Hi, kickR. I took your advice and purchased some Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 sealer and wanted to get rid of all previous waxes/sealers. I`ve really inspected the paint and it`s really in good shape so am just going to seal and wax, have not purchased the wax yet but it will be a nuba that can be applied with my PC. Any secrets to applying the Jetseal?

Never used clay before, you only have to clay the horizonal surfaces dont you?
I usually always clay the whole car, just in order to do it right from the very beginning.

As for the sealer - the same rules as for a wax apply:

- apply in a shaded area and only in a very thin layer
- if another layer is applied, read the instructions as to how long the first one has to sit
- PC max speed = 3
- proper finishing pad
- let the sealant sit as long as instructions state and use microfiber towels for removal.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:31 PM

2005 c230 s/c
what color is your car?
i would not use dish soap. can stain the paint.
clay bar with work just fine and would only take about 30mins todo.