Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Oops, got a dent and some scratches!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 06:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
Oops, got a dent and some scratches!

So I was backing out of a really tight driveway on a hill, and as I was trying to fix the car to go out, it slid back and brushed up against part of the wall that sticks out.

It dented the rear drivers door a bit, it's about a 2 inch diameter...and it scratches that side as well, maybe about 1 foot and 5-6 scratches. Some were not that deep, and maybe one was.

Anything I can do myself to clear up the scratches a bit? It's a black car. Can I use some acetone, and perhaps some polish or wax to smooth them out and reduce their visual appearance?

Also..I know they offer paintless dent removal, anywhere in particular around NY that anyone knows? Is this expensive?

Thanks!

Last edited by rondocap; 06-20-2010 at 06:27 PM. Reason: a
Old 06-21-2010, 02:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
Originally Posted by rondocap
So I was backing out of a really tight driveway on a hill, and as I was trying to fix the car to go out, it slid back and brushed up against part of the wall that sticks out.

It dented the rear drivers door a bit, it's about a 2 inch diameter...and it scratches that side as well, maybe about 1 foot and 5-6 scratches. Some were not that deep, and maybe one was.

Anything I can do myself to clear up the scratches a bit? It's a black car. Can I use some acetone, and perhaps some polish or wax to smooth them out and reduce their visual appearance?

Also..I know they offer paintless dent removal, anywhere in particular around NY that anyone knows? Is this expensive?

Thanks!
pics of damage would help
Old 06-21-2010, 10:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'87 560SL Sold, '99 SL500 For Keeps
rondocap,
I've been using the same paintless dent remover here for the last 3 years. These guys are part magician, part artist when it comes to dents and dings. If you have a relationship with any local car dealer or body shop, ask them who they use. Do a search on the internet for 'paintless dent remover' and a couple of franchise operations will undoubtedly come up. As far as costs, I've never paid over $100 for any given visit from the 'dent guy'. The price you're charged will be quoted in advance, so if too high for you, move on.

Re the scratches, Azn_300 is correct...provide pix. If you only cut through the clear coat, that's one thing, if you're down to metal, that's another.

Bob