Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

How to Clean Matte finished wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to Clean Matte finished wheels?

Didn't really find any old threads on this subject in this forum....But soap and water simply will not leave them evenly clean..doing a google search I have found that simple green supposedly works perfectly. I have also been recommended to use simple distilled alcohol and give it a wipe down..Anyone tried any of these methods or have any other suggestions?
Old 07-27-2010, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
P21S Gel cleaner or Sonax wheel cleaner. Then seal it with a coat of Optimum Opti-Seal or Poorboy's wheel sealant.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:31 PM

I did find a solution. It's called simple green. You can actually buy it by the gallon. It says to dilute it..but i don't. I simply spray down my wheels with water...spray the simple green all over the face..give it about 30secs-min...and then use a wet towel/cloth to wipe it down and get in nooks and cranny..dirt seems to come off easier...and then I dry it all off with a microfiber towel..magnificent!
Old 02-17-2011, 10:51 PM

'14 CLA 45
Originally Posted by erifly
I did find a solution. It's called simple green. You can actually buy it by the gallon. It says to dilute it..but i don't. I simply spray down my wheels with water...spray the simple green all over the face..give it about 30secs-min...and then use a wet towel/cloth to wipe it down and get in nooks and cranny..dirt seems to come off easier...and then I dry it all off with a microfiber towel..magnificent!
It cleans great alright, but is much more aggressive than any other professional wheel cleaner, since it is an all purpose household product. Eagle, Turtle wheel cleaners and such all do a great job too, but will eventually ruin the clearcoat. Use Sonax Wheel cleaner if the wheels are heavily soiled, use P21S Total Auto Wash (well balanced citrus cleaner) if not heavily soiled.

That simple green I'd throw into the trash in concerns to washing your wheels.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:44 PM

The simple green has been doing a good job for the past 5-6 months(and correct me if i am wrong but matte wheels don't have clear coat do they?). but Alright I'll def. check out this sonax/p21s since both of you guys are recommending it. I'll keep this thread updated for my findings.thx!

Originally Posted by kickR
It cleans great alright, but is much more aggressive than any other professional wheel cleaner, since it is an all purpose household product. Eagle, Turtle wheel cleaners and such all do a great job too, but will eventually ruin the clearcoat. Use Sonax Wheel cleaner if the wheels are heavily soiled, use P21S Total Auto Wash (well balanced citrus cleaner) if not heavily soiled.

That simple green I'd throw into the trash in concerns to washing your wheels.