Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Clear Bra in Florida (Tampa or WPB) - and more!

Old 08-24-2010, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Question Clear Bra in Florida (Tampa or WPB) - and more!

Hi,
I'm buying a 2006 SL500. It is virtually brand new condition except there are about 20 to 25 pin head sized (literally, pin head sized, tiny) chips on the car - front bumper, hood, rocker panels, fenders. It's a black car and they are white. It's not really bad looking because there's no other issues and you can hardly notice them. I digress.

I don't want any more chips. The car is in WPB and I live in Tampa. I would like to protect the entire car if possible. I've heard people doing the front bumper, the full hood (to avoid lines), the rockers, fenders, etc;.

Does anyone know who is the very best installer in Florida? Willing to travel but hope it's in Tampa or WPB. Is doing the entire car - fully - totally insane?

Also, Venture Shield or 3M for a black SL500??? I don't want the beautiful appearance of the car to change - it looks and shines like new - just detailed a few months ago and it only have 19K miles on it - garaged forever.

Wish I wasn't **** but spending all this money on a car and having it show every blemish being black would make me nervous every driving experience - I'd rather pay up and drive and not worry about the car.

Am I on the right page about this?? Who's the best installer and what's the best film for black - and do I do roof, windshield, headlights???
Old 09-04-2010, 11:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'11 ML350
I can't respond to all your questions, and I know my location doesn't help alot either...nevertheless, I know of some detail shops here in Colo. that have done entire cars with 3M. Not cheap. Depending on the car it's in the $4-5k range - high end Ferraris, Maseratis, Lambos, etc. Whether this makes since on your 4yr old SL is for you to decide. In FL it wouldn't seem necessary to do the entire car though...bumper, hood (maybe 18-24" width), A pillars, perhaps the first 18-24" of the fenders, headlights.

There is film that can be applied the the windshield, but it's different from the normal 3M stuff. My detailer is going to put it on my car next week. Even the detailer has little experience with it so I hope it protects like I expect.

Last edited by eeferber; 09-04-2010 at 11:51 PM.