Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Some car care questions.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 10:24 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Some car care questions.....

Hi,

I was just wondering how do you guys take care of your cars' ext and int:

1) what do you use on the leather? plastic stuff?
2) is there an easy way to clean the brake dust off of the rims?

Also, is there supposed to be a round light around the cigarette lighter? I think I remember seeing it, but I don't anymore. I don't know if the bulb went bad or am I imagining things? I don't want to take it to the dealer just for that, but it's kinda annoying to know if something's supposed to work and doesn't.

Thanks for your inputs.
Hugh.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:50 AM

you can use any leather cleaner and leather

conditioner for the leather seats. any auto part store is fine. some people like lexol (from pep boys) or you can buy zaino stuff at zainobros.com. but any brand is fine. i like to condition my leather seats once a month and keep them really soft. i use a damp cloth to wipe the plastic stuff or you can use vinylex by lexol. most people condition leather once a year and when they see cracks, it's too late. leather is like our skin, it needs cleaning and conditioning or it will crack.

on the exterior paint, go with zaino z1 and z2. it is like "putting glass" over your car. the shine is so incredible especially on dark colors.

on the wheels, you can always wax/shine (any brand) the wheels so that it's easier to remove brake dust later. you want the wheels to be smooth and slick. just use a "car wash type" brush to dust off the brake dust on your wheels.....don't use any water or wheel cleaner unless wheels have too much dirt/stains.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:43 PM

Hugh,

Before one can prescribe what type of leather cleaner and conditioner to use it should be asked what year is the car, and in what condition is the leather? Is is clear coated? (Your dealer should be able to tell you if the leather is clear coated)

If it is coated then you can clean it with a mild soap and water dilution and then apply a product like 303 or the Klasse conditioner.

I personally would not use any leather stuff from an auto parts store, cept for Lexol, only because I detail professionaly and alot of the store stuff is based in petroleum and the better leather conditioners should have a lanolin base. UPP makes a great leather conditioner as does Pinnacle and then there is Leatherique, sworn as the best by Rolls Royce owners and clubs.

Klasse conditioner can again be used on the plastic as well as a good car polish or Plexus. For scratches try the Novus 3 step brand (Great stuff).

Your wheels can be kept nice and clean by washing them along with the car weekly or bi-weekly, depending on your drivinghabits. Wax them with the same wax you use on the exterior if they are clear coated.

As for your light question, I believe there is a circular light and yours must be out. Check that out with your dealer.

Hope that helps,
Anthony
Old 04-26-2003, 02:10 AM
Almost a Member!

Thanks so much for your valuable comments mbdude and anthony. Now that I know, I'll look more carefully before I use anything.

Hugh.