Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

W212 MB-Tex Care question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E350
Question W212 MB-Tex Care question

Hi Guys,

I was reading on MB manual online about MB-Tex " fake-leather" care and they mentioned not to use Microfiber products to clean that per the attached link and image, I wonder what kind of damage microfiber towels might cause to MB-tex.

http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/manual...10e48552.shtml

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails W212 MB-Tex Care question-screenhunter_02-nov.-10-10.00.gif  

Last edited by ash_cpe; 11-10-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:45 PM

C300 Luxury
Seems just precautionary. I've used the Uber microfibers on my seats with the proper cleaners and they look as good as when I got the car.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
MB-Tex, Leatherette – like Alcantara is a non-organic (synthetic) material that has an even, almost repeating pattern. Vinyl can imitate leather as they imprint a grain pattern into it; he depth of the lines within the grain on vinyl is also consistent, while the same lines on leather will vary. Vinyl usually has single stitching; whereas leather uses double stitching, as leather is thicker than vinyl.

Vacuum to remove any loose dust / dirt and then wipe with a damp micro fibre towel. Periodically clean using Iz einszett 'Plastik-Reiniger' is an intensive, non-corrosive, non-acidic two-phase deep cleaner that contains anti-static and produces a matte satin finish. Spray surfaces with 1z einszett Plastik Reiniger. Work the cleaning solution into seams, edges and seat backs using a sponge or a micro fibre towel. If necessary, use an old toothbrush to get into the small crevices.

For vinyl trim and automotive upholstery it removes grime build-up thoroughly and effortlessly, these chemicals restore the original texture and resiliency; use to clean all pigmented and clear water-based acrylic urethane covered automotive upholstery; this product is biodegradable, formalin-free and environmentally friendly.

Note- any leather conditioner is likely to make urethane feel softer as they all tend to soften up the polymer (urethane) coating; the problem is that due to their molecular size they cannot permeate the urethane, so they remain on the surface attracting abrasive dirt / grit. The only thing that can permeate this finish is water vapour

Last edited by TOGWT; 11-14-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:33 PM

2010 E350
Good to know. Thank you very much for your reply.