Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Winter Wash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Ford Raptor, 2003 FX35, 2008 E63 AMG (Gone but not forgotten)
Winter Wash

So it's 19 degrees here in Chicago today. How do you cold weather folks wash your pride and joy when winter hits? Wait for a warmer day? Just use cold water? Indoor place?

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2010, 06:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Optimum No Rinse™ Wash & Shine

To the list of oxymorons add - the sunless tan, cheese less pizza, soap-free detergent and the no-water carwash.

An innovative product that protects automotive paint, while preserving our most valuable resource, water; enabling you to wash your car anywhere, even in freezing temperatures or even inside your garage. It’s a multi-purpose product that serves as a shampoo additive, no rinse wash, quick detailer and clay lubricant.
The science behind this cleaning process is pretty simple. When sprayed on a dirty surface; surfactants break down the soil by releasing its surface tension or bond with the surface, encapsulating the soil particles in the media used, and the polymers provide surface lubrication to enable safe (marring free) residue removal using a minimum amount of water. A micro fibre towel is then used to wipe away the dirt. A second dry microfiber towel is used to help polish away any remaining formula and buff the surface to a clean, streak-free shine

Additional benefits are faster washes, ability to wash anywhere at any time including washing inside the garage during the cold months, no messy water runoffs, and greater looking car finishes. These are some of the reasons Optimum (OPT) No Rinse™ Wash & Shine New Formula (ONR) is being used by many professional detailers across the country

Used as a winter car wash or in areas that have hosepipe ban, water usage restrictions, or where a water supply is not readily available (apartments, car shows, etc; cleans and protects while minimising water usage, 100% environmentally safe and it reduces water usage to a fraction of a conventional car wash, 1- oz ONR per 2- gallons of water to wash the entire car.

ONR Wash Methodology

• Optional Pre-Soak (very dirty surfaces) - Spray down individual panels with a 1:20 solution ONR / distilled water with a fine mist spray bottle, then wipe-down each panel with a wet micro fibre towel
• For really dirty vehicles, use a pre-spray and mix a second solution half way through the process.
• Use a Monster Fluffy micro fibre towel for washing.
• ONR washing solution 1- oz / 2- gallons of water
• Take one towel and wet it with ONR washing solution
• Wring it out and make a single pass per clean side of the towel.
• You can get 4-8 passes, with the towel folded in quarters. Each pass is then done with a perfectly clean towel surface and you're never rinsing any dirt out and releasing it in to your wash or rinse water. You can do the whole car with 2-4 towels.
• Apply no pressure to the towel. I just glide it over the surface and only make one pass in one direction with a clean surface.
• If you use the two bucket method (one fitted with a Grit Guard and one fitted with a Dirt Dropper) which highly recommended with this type of product, the wash solution will stay clean enough to be reusable as a pre-soak solution or for cleaning wheel surfaces.
• ONR is formulated to ensure that dirt particles won’t mix with the solution but fall to the bottom of the bucket.
• There is no need to rinse afterwards with ONR, but if you feel you must, please ensure that the water goes to a sewer and not a storm drain; either way the lubricating polymers in the No Rinse do a better job of protecting the finish than conventional car soap.
• ONR is ultra violet (UV) sensitive, it causes it to lighten its colour, but has no detrimental effect

An ONR wash used in tandem with Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer, Finish Kare 425 or Ultima Detail Spray for a ‘just waxed’ look If you use the two bucket method (one fitted with a grit guard) the wash solution will stay clean enough to be reusable. ONR is formulated to ensure that dirt particles won’t mix with the solution but fall to the bottom of the bucket.

The key to using ONR is to make sure your panel is thoroughly ‘washed’. This doesn't mean that you have to saturate your mitt and/or panel with the ONR but rather go over that panel 2 or 3 times if needed. When you wipe dry there should be no remaining dirt on the panel. If need be use several mitts, discarding a mitt as it becomes visually dirty. When finished there should be little or no water on the ground.

Last edited by TOGWT; 12-08-2010 at 06:20 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SOLD both: 1987 560SL 2003 ML320
I was a skeptic of ONR until I finally anted up and bought a gallon of the new forumula. Remarkable stuff. As usual, TOWGT's description of the technique is spot-on, but I have to add that it's a much more pleasant experience if you can actually get the car into a garage or sheltered area - working in the driveway in Chicago this time of year is just asking for frostbite!
Old 12-08-2010, 10:32 AM

I'm just so skeptical of ONR, but I guess I should just get some. I can always try it on my truck or the wife's car first. It's going to be 35 here tomorrow, so I'm going to get her done real fast to get the salt off.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:32 AM

Oh, and sorry I forgot.

Thanks for the info, both of you.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:19 AM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Originally Posted by shooter
Oh, and sorry I forgot.

Thanks for the info, both of you.
Your welcome...
Old 12-09-2010, 04:19 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Another +1 for ONR. Alternatively, you could try the newer waterless washes out there like Optimum Opti-Clean. I've tried it and have been pretty impressed. Dr.G describes it as ONR on steroids.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
I've used ONR and it is great.... won't scratch paint if you use it correctly.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:15 AM

2004 C320 Sport
Definitely get some ONR, been using it for a couple years now. It's the only way I wash my car anymore....can't remember the last time I did a conventional wash.

Only difference is I use a grout sponge from Home Depot