Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Least abrasive swirl remover

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Least abrasive swirl remover

I have a solid black 8 months old CLK.

I always hand washed it, but have picked up some minor swirls. Inevitable I guess.
I tried Meguirs three step process by hand, and I’m not happy with the result. In direct sunlight, the car looks as it has a bad wax job. Almost finer “scratches” than swirls, but I don’t know how to describe it. Sounds worse than it is, but at the end of the day I need to find another approach.

I plan to buy a random orbital buffer to make the detailing more fun. I think I need to start with a “swirl remover” but as I think the swirls are minor and shallow, I like to at least start with the least abrasive (or aggressive) swirl remover to save the paint. Also reading the posts on this forum, are different pads for the buffer more or less abrasive.

Any recommendation? I studied many of the excellent posts on this forum, but I couldn’t find one that answered above questions.

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Definately pick up a Porter Cable RO...it will make your life so much easier and the result much better. IMO, least abrasive to most abrasive:

Meguiars #9
3M SMR
Meguiars DACP
3M FI-2

Also, Ali's thread up top is invaluable...a great man named Steve has an excellent post up at www.roadfly.org (I think that's the URL...it's that bimmer forum). I wish I had the direct link for you but I don't.
Old 05-08-2003, 02:26 AM

500AMG,

Thanks for your advice.

I seen the pictures you posted on your black CLK, same as mine but i have a 320, and the detail work of your car is truly stunning. I hope i can get half there.

I think i remember you used the 3M SMR. On such a new car, why didn't you pick the less abrasive one. I guess i'm kind of concern using more "power" than needed and wear out the paintwork prematurely.

Thanks,
Old 05-08-2003, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you for the compliment

3M's SMR & Meguiar's #9 I would say are very similar in abrasiveness...Meguiar's seems to have more "fillers". At the time, I didn't have any #9, so I went with the SMR. They're not all that different in terms of abrasiveness...the only problem I can see is that SMR sometimes causes "hazing", which is a PITA to remove on black car. I would start with Meguiar's #9 and then step it up to DACP if needed to avoid the possibility of hazing. I don't plan on buffing more than twice a year and I use the proper washing and drying methods to minimize swirls...so that every time I buff I can use a very mild polish and pad.

What types of foam pads do you have? What condition is your paint in?
Old 05-09-2003, 02:20 AM

I haven't bought the gear yet, still researching.

Is it correct that foam pads are available in yellow and white, the white being the least abrasive. If so, i should probably start with Meguirs #9 and white pads and see if it does the job.

The paint is in pretty good condition, but i probably have what you call "haze". The car looks as it has a non optimal wax job, it looks slightly greasy. Do you think this is "haze", and will a swirl remover fix it. I'm novice, but as "haze" should be shallower scratches than swirls, shouldn't it be easier to remove.

Thanks for your advice.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The pads from CMA (www.properautocare.com) are the ones you are talking about I believe. The white has less cutting action than the yellow, so White + #9 would be a good starting point. #9 has some fillers, so I would keep some rubbing alcohol (comes 70/30 premixed with water) in a spray bottle in order to remove those fillers and see your results. Move up to the yellow + #9 if the results aren't what you want.
Old 05-10-2003, 03:48 AM

AMG500,
Thanks for your help. That web page you referred to is great.

Cheers,