Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Is the dashboard Nappa leather too?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
me NUTS!
Is the dashboard Nappa leather too?

I just got a 2005 C55 AMG and I know that the seats are Nappa leather.

But I'm just wondering if the dashboard and door borders (highlighted in the pic below) are also Nappa leather? I'm just wondering if I should use the same leather cleaner and conditioner on them.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/508/30671400.jpg/
Old 05-29-2011, 03:51 PM

CLK 500 & E55 AMG
I don't have that car but in my CLK and E55 it is a rubber compound with a leather texture. I have typically used 303 aerospace protectant on them.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Nappa Leather (A-Aniline // Non-Coated) – for leather used in autos, Nappa is a term that is used to denote a high quality finished leather; it’s a very soft, absorbent full grain pigmented finished leather.

1. Use a aqueous (water- based) foam type product to ensure that the perforations do not become blocked

2. Leather Master™ Protection Cream – (Not for use with N-Nubuck / Alcantara®) an aqueous (water- based) protector that places an invisible, breathable barrier between you and your leather

3. Automotive finished leather upholstery used by 95% of OEM is a multi strata covering over the leather hide; pigmentation (colour) and an abrasion resistant urethane. Finished leather s only requirement is to be kept clean and protected, urethane doesn’t require conditioning

Always keep in mind that you’re dealing with the finished coating on the leather and not with the leather hide itself
Old 05-30-2011, 01:04 PM

me NUTS!
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Nappa Leather (A-Aniline // Non-Coated) – for leather used in autos, Nappa is a term that is used to denote a high quality finished leather; it’s a very soft, absorbent full grain pigmented finished leather.

1. Use a aqueous (water- based) foam type product to ensure that the perforations do not become blocked

2. Leather Master™ Protection Cream – (Not for use with N-Nubuck / Alcantara®) an aqueous (water- based) protector that places an invisible, breathable barrier between you and your leather

3. Automotive finished leather upholstery used by 95% of OEM is a multi strata covering over the leather hide; pigmentation (colour) and an abrasion resistant urethane. Finished leather s only requirement is to be kept clean and protected, urethane doesn’t require conditioning

Always keep in mind that you’re dealing with the finished coating on the leather and not with the leather hide itself

So for the Nappa seats, your suggestion is to use Leather Master Protection Cream.

How about the cleaner? Should I use Leather Master Strong or Soft cleaner?

How about for the dashboard and center console? I'm not sure if they're leather or vinyl.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:48 AM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Q: So for the Nappa seats, your suggestion is to use Leather Master Protection Cream.

Yes

Q:How about the cleaner? Should I use Leather Master Strong or Soft cleaner?

My best suggestion is to buy the ‘Stron’ version and dilute it, if it doesn’t remove the dirt use it undiluted

Q: How about for the dashboard and center console? I'm not sure if they're leather or vinyl.

Nappa

Identifying characteristics - It is highly absorbent and has a random shade colours and grain pattern.

The water-drop absorbency test- water drops will darken the surface, but it returns to its original colour after drying.

Absorbency rate –Medium

Vinyl

Identifying characteristics - it is also usually smooth and fairly soft to the touch.

The water-drop absorbency test- water drops will ‘bead’ on the surface

Absorbency rate -Low

Leather Upholstery Type Surface Identification - http://togwt1980.blogspot.com/2010_09_01_archive.html

Last edited by TOGWT; 05-31-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:05 PM

me NUTS!
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Q: So for the Nappa seats, your suggestion is to use Leather Master Protection Cream.

Yes

Q:How about the cleaner? Should I use Leather Master Strong or Soft cleaner?

My best suggestion is to buy the ‘Stron’ version and dilute it, if it doesn’t remove the dirt use it undiluted

TOGWT, I ordered the Leather Master Strong Kit as you have suggested. However, I was surprised to see that the label at back of the cleaner bottle clearly stating "DO NOT use on aniline leather..."

Is this really safe to use on my AMG Nappa leather seats? Since according you said it's Nappa Leather (A-Aniline // Non-Coated).
Old 06-05-2011, 11:50 AM

'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Aniline is a leather dye not a type of leather, their caution is the removal of the dye. Automotive Nappa leather is a term that is used to denote a high quality finished leather; it’s a very soft, absorbent full grain pigmented finished leather.

Apply the selected cleaning solution in an inconspicuous area and rub gently with a clean, white micro fibre towel. Do not over wet. Use small amounts of the product, do not rub or use too much pressure. Do not use the product if it adversely changes the material’s colour or texture.

Last edited by TOGWT; 06-05-2011 at 11:56 AM.