Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Glass Cleaner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2002 | 06:33 PM

2001 CLK 320
Glass Cleaner

Has anyone found a particular glass cleaner they can recommend? I've used several, but I'm not really pleased with any. Also, I've been using several paper towels in order to prevent streaking. Anyone ever tried microfiber towels or anything else?

P.S. : I've heard that the very best glass cleaner is made by Porsche. It comes in a container about the size of a lipstick tube and costs a great deal of money. Anyone hear anything about it?
Old 02-14-2002 | 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
No amonia-based products, - according to my tint-man - such as windex. It will turn your tint PURPLE over time.

He suggests soapy water.
Old 02-14-2002 | 08:57 PM

2002 E55
Instead of paper towels, I use newspaper. It's free, very absorbent, and lint-free.
Old 02-15-2002 | 09:09 AM

2002 CLK 430 Coupe
I have been using Griot's Garage Window Cleaner for several years now and am quite pleased with it. As for towels, I used to use the blue shop towels on a roll because the left very little lint, but lately they seem to leave a film so I have reverted back to regular paper towels.
Old 02-16-2002 | 02:00 AM
AWE
Almost a Member!

Andy:

send me an email with your address and I will send you a sample of what I use... a commercial grade glass cleaner concentrate.

Mix 1:3 parts water. See if you like it.

randall@autowerksexpress.com
Old 02-16-2002 | 10:54 AM

2007 GL450 2010 GL550 2020 Sprinter 4x4
I use an aerosol glass cleaner from Costco, work great for me. I wipe it with a cotton towel. Every once in a while, I shake things up a little and use one wet towel and one dry towel to do the windows. I think any glass cleaner builds up over time and leaves streaks.

My brother was having fits with his car windows. He must have had 5 different window cleaners and could not get the streaks out. I suggested my wet towel/dry towel method, and his windows were streak free.

Here's another free detailing tip. Any towels that you use on your car should be washed with liquid detergent, not granular. The granular doesn't completely dissolve and will leave small scratches and soap residue.

And yes, I am washing my car today I need to take a new pic to put in the C-class pic thread.