Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

FW1, cleaning wax, safe for brand new car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 10:31 PM

Received 118 Likes on 76 Posts
2019 E-450 Wagon
FW1, cleaning wax, safe for brand new car?

So I bought my wife a brand new CTS Wagon, Metallic Black, thick clear coat and all.

A detail freak with a perfect looking 2007 MB C-230 recommended Astro Shield, but it is out of production.
(Some dude on ebay says he did "reverse engineering" on Astro Shield and is selling it at a good price)

Don't want to use bad stuff on the brand new CTS as I remember (painfully) when I bought a new 1992 Firebird Convertible, very limited edition (only 1000 made with the V-8) and used Turtle Wax on the red paint and got severe swirl marks.

Looking for high tech "polymer"/wax stuff with UV protection.

Got this can of FW1 at a gas station and seems to be ok on my 2004 MB, but want to make sure it is ok for a brand new car....?

Anybody?
Old 12-09-2011, 10:58 PM

2019 E-450 Wagon
Guess I will answer my own question:

Did a brief Google search on the above product and found some guys that said "do not use" and others that said it does an amazing job cleing a dirty car..

I don't need no cleaning wax, always wash and dry my cars before applying polish and wax.

Anything that will clean the car is probably abrasive or too rough for the brand new black Caddie.

Got another product in my garage:

"Liquid Glass"
Recommended by my car mechanic and has worked OK over the last year, but it seems to "last" only a month or two.

Any experience with this product as far as safe for brand new cars...?

(Previous car was white and much more forgiving)
Old 12-10-2011, 05:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
As far a paint protection systems are concerned; probably the greatest impact has come from the use of Nanotechnology coatings, which have completely changed the landscape of the detailing industry.

Products like Zaino, Collinite, and etc used to be the best protection available but nanotechnology (AQuartz) or a reactive polymer resin coatings (Opti-Coat™ ) that offer a coating thickness of 2-3 µ (microns) and a scratch resistant hardness of 9H, greatly extended durability, scratch resistance and protection from the elements that can be measured in seasons or years, as opposed to others

For many years (twenty plus) my polymer sealant of choice was an acrylic polymer (Klasse) I then converted to a polymer sealant (Zaino) and used it for approx fifteen years, but automotive sealants and coatings(Opti-Coat™, Aquartz, Permanon, G|Techniq) have evolved immensely over the last five years or so and have changed paint protection to an inordinate degree
Old 12-10-2011, 07:47 PM

2019 E-450 Wagon
Thanks for that Mr. TOGWT. (Take Off Gross Weight?)

Did a test today on the 2 polishes in my garage:

FW1 and Liquid Glass:

The FW1 was easy to apply and shiny, but the Liquid Glass was heads and shoulders above as far as smooth surface after application.

Did the hood (bonnet) with the FW1 and the fender with Liquid Glass.
They were even as far as application but I will stick with Liquid Glass.
(No swirl marks on either, but better shine and surface with LG: The fender is LG , the hood is FW1)

The metallic paint on this Caddilac is a $1,000.00 option and looks good when clean and shiny. The clear coat also appear thicker than
standard, but that could be just a "feeling" I got from working on the car today.

Last edited by NorseWagon; 12-10-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
I would never put polish on a new car.
New automotive paint does not hold up well to a lot of rubbing.
And as for wax, it's been my experience that waxing a car leads to swirl marks and dull paint. Plus dirt gets imbeded in it over time which makes it harder to clean.
Any product that polishes paint will damage new paint.
Any product that covers it with a film such as wax or a sealant that eventually has to be removed will cause damage to new paint during removal.
You can't really trust information you get on detail sites that have sponsors whose products they promote.
You got two things to remember
all true polish is abrasive
paste and cream wax will harden and at some time in the future have to be removed
Best thing to trust is your own experience with wax and polish on paint.
Do you have memories of good results?
If the product is abrasive like polish, it will leave marks.
Buffing wax creates marks in paint, as well as wax stripping.
Non abrasive liquid products that do not require buffing are the safest for new paint.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:24 PM

2019 E-450 Wagon
Decided to go with Liquid Glass, seems gentle and no swirl marks found..