Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

How cold is too cold to wax?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E550 4-Matic
How cold is too cold to wax?

I tried searching on this question but does anyone know how cold is too cold to wax? We're in the 40s up in the NE now and I never got a chance to get a winter coat on. Is it too late? Thanks
Old 12-14-2011, 05:57 PM

none
That is a good question,
how effective is wax applied in the cold?
Will the weather effect your ability to buff the wax out evenly.
How well will it adhere to the paint?
I imagine it really depends on what type of wax you use, creams and pastes vs water based.
Wax is not the only option. nor is it the best option in any weather.
In my opinion, you need a non abrasive, waterless, liquid and not affected by cold weather to safely keep a shine on your car in the winter temps.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:40 PM

'03 CLK 320 Coupe
Actually, the colder the better. More of the molecules will adhere to the paint. I've actually heard of some people icing their areas down as they apply their sealant in warm weather, for this reason. I've never been able to vouch for any actual difference, as a good sealant will last a long time anyway, but it certainly can't hurt (unless its actually below freezing out).
Old 12-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2010 S550
This pertains to most waxes and sealants, but if you try to apply in temperatures below 50 degrees, you will experience difficulty removing the product. But in most cases you can alter your technique accordingly and be successful.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Originally Posted by FT Benz
I tried searching on this question but does anyone know how cold is too cold to wax? We're in the 40s up in the NE now and I never got a chance to get a winter coat on. Is it too late? Thanks
Detailing products should be applied to a cool dry surface out of direct sunlight (actual surface temperature of the vehicle) ideal range between 50 (10.oC) and 80.oF (26.oC)

The other climate related condition that should be avoided when applying car care products is direct sunlight, as this will dramatically increase the surface temperature compared to ambient temperatures causing the product to dry prematurely and may render it ineffective.

Surface Temperature (actual surface temperature of the vehicle) between 50 (10.oC) and 80.oF (26.oC) products will work well within a much broader temperature range, i.e. > 45. °F to < 90.° F (4.5-32.oC) but at 45 degrees it will take much longer to dry, perhaps as much as two to three hours) but the best results will be achieved in the 60° to 70° F (15-21.oC) range.