Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Dealer exterior treatment, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 Kompressor
Dealer exterior treatment, is it worth it?

I am planning on purchasing a new car and was wondering if the added paint treatment is worth doing and what they actually use. I would rather do it myself and put that extra money in other options.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Take the car to a real body shop or a restorer, not a Detailer or the dealer. Get a check from the dealer because they don't have Treat it.

The body shop or better, a concours restorer will use 3M grade non silicone polishes and perhaps Carnuba waxes that are better for the paint than silicones.

After that's done have Venture Shield or the equivalent applied. The dealers get this in bulk so it best to get this from them but make sure you get the complete package.

Then you just use no 34 car wash, 3m Glaze, and Mothers Carnuba to keep up the shine in the spring and fall. Make sure you wash the undercarriage regularly in a low pressure Selfserve carwash or at home.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
[Take the car to a real body shop or a restorer, not a Detailer or the dealer. Get a check from the dealer because they don't have Treat it.]

Body shops repair and/or paint vehicles, detailers take care of the vehicle once it’s left the body shop

[The body shop or better, a concours restorer will use 3M grade non silicone polishes and perhaps Carnuba waxes that are better for the paint than silicones.]

All polishes and waxes contain silicone, it helps the product to spread evenly and provides shine (Carnauba wax has no shine of its own)

See also “New Vehicle Care” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ml#post1453380
Old 02-26-2012, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
I would not take a new car to a body shop.
Body shops restore cars,
There is nothing to restore on a new car.
Unless you come across a honest detailer, you could be out of hundreds of dollars for things you don't need.
As for going to autopia for advice.......Big mistake, Thats an informercial gone bad.
They push wax and sealants of their sponsors and try to convince everybody they need a porter cable buffer. You will only find a bunch of people agreeing with the moderator or risk being banned.
Not a credible site for information in my opinion.
You got a new car, you want to keep it looking new
in otherwords preserve the condition of your car
You can't do that by using restoration products like polish and buffers.
Modern automotive paint was not designed to be buffed or polished.
Of course there are those who say they can make new paint look better than new by stripping, claying, polishing or waxing.
The reality is they can change it's appearence but they can't make it better
Any type of concentrated friction on modern acrylic paint will deminish the factory shine.
Look for the most non abrasive method to preserve your cars finish, One that requires no buffing, no stripping and is of course 100% liquid, with no abrasive additives.
You car will look better longer.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2010 E550 coupe
Originally Posted by Oneness
I am planning on purchasing a new car and was wondering if the added paint treatment is worth doing and what they actually use. I would rather do it myself and put that extra money in other options.
I would ask around in your area to find a good detailer. Getting any of this type of work done through the dealer is going to cost more since they sub it out and will mark up the prices.
Rather than paint treatment, you might want to look at paint protection. 3M was mentioned above. Other brands are VentureShield and XPEL.