Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

silicon blade?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
silicon blade?

Has anyone used one of those silicon blades to dry the exterior? I'm wondering how good it is compared to a microfiber cloth or super absorbant chamois.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
A lot like Marmite, some love 'em some hate 'em

California Jelly Blade® - with new V-Blade design, made from medical- grade silicone, it has exceptional contouring and flexibility to easily remove standing water in less time than a towel or chamois, without streaking. I would only recommend their use for drying glass surfaces but not paint as a stray piece of grit will wreck havoc on the paint finish

Features include easy to use ergonomic handle, special “extender” end for hard-to reach areas and “detailer” blade for side view mirrors and fog lights. Dry the windows and mirrors first. A series of careful firm strokes will remove any remaining water
Old 03-10-2012, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 AMG
I use the California Jelly Blade to remove most of the water on my car, then I follow up with a waffle pattern super absorbent microfiber towel to get it completely dry. Works well, most of the water is wiped away with the wiper so your microfiber doesn't get saturated leaving water streaks. It's perfect for the windows.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
And you're not worried about any residue scratching the paint if it gets stuck under the blade?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2019 C43 AMG
I use one and I love it. I make sure to clean the blade right before use, as well as spray the car down well right before i use the blade. That way any loose debris that could scratch the car "should" be gone.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 CLK 320 Coupe
I used to swear at these blades, now I swear BY them. As mentioned above, I remove the majority of the standing water with the blade, then follow up with a waffle towel. The key is to be ABSOLUTELY sure you're working with ABSOLUTE cleanliness! (Anyone who thinks these blades will scratch paint any faster than even the finest microfiber towel, having captured abrasive grit, is sadly mistaken.)
Old 03-16-2012, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Thanks for the insight. I may have to pick one up now.