Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

REMOVING 3M CLEAR BRA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 10:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2012 GLK 350
REMOVING 3M CLEAR BRA

In January, 2005 I had a clear bra installed on my wife's C240 wagon. Unfortunately last year it began cracking on the mirrors, front bumper and on the hood. I tried removing it from the mirrors and it was unbelievably difficult. A hair dryer did not seem to help at all. If there some gunk that would help loosen it and move the job along.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
PPF Removal

Thoroughly inspect the film before attempting to remove it, look for any cuts in the paint as these will cause the paint to peel off during removal. It is not very difficult to remove, apply heat to a corner with a hair dryer (not a heat gun) and work slowly to avoid breaking or tearing the vinyl (like any applied vinyl, the longer it’s been applied the more difficult it will be to remove) pull upwards at a 45-degree angle, work slowly and be patient.

Adhesive removal – 3M Citrus Based Spray Adhesive Remover – a citrus-based, solvent-free adhesive remover leaves surfaces clean and dries with no residue. Removes tape residue from masking, foam or duct tape, clean, fresh citrus scent. Saturate a micro fibre towel by allowing the product to remain in place for a few minutes and agitating the adhesive residue to remove
Old 03-21-2012, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Jeep SRT-8
Originally Posted by TOGWT
PPF Removal

Thoroughly inspect the film before attempting to remove it, look for any cuts in the paint as these will cause the paint to peel off during removal. It is not very difficult to remove, apply heat to a corner with a hair dryer (not a heat gun) and work slowly to avoid breaking or tearing the vinyl (like any applied vinyl, the longer it’s been applied the more difficult it will be to remove) pull upwards at a 45-degree angle, work slowly and be patient.

Adhesive removal – 3M Citrus Based Spray Adhesive Remover – a citrus-based, solvent-free adhesive remover leaves surfaces clean and dries with no residue. Removes tape residue from masking, foam or duct tape, clean, fresh citrus scent. Saturate a micro fibre towel by allowing the product to remain in place for a few minutes and agitating the adhesive residue to remove
This reply does absolutely nothing to help this guy get the clear bra off. See240 I hate to tell you this but there is no easy way to get the bra off. Once it starts cracking the films has decomposed and will not peel off. You can not even get it to stay together... it has basically disintegrated. I am an installer and I have tried everything in the book to get these off. You have to scrape it off and use adhesive remover to get the leftover material. This is a big reason why I do not install 3M. I see this all the time and most customers end up having to take the car in and have the areas snaded down and repainted. I know its bad news but there isnt much you can do.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2012 GLK 350
Originally Posted by pro-tect mobile
This reply does absolutely nothing to help this guy get the clear bra off. See240 I hate to tell you this but there is no easy way to get the bra off. Once it starts cracking the films has decomposed and will not peel off. You can not even get it to stay together... it has basically disintegrated. I am an installer and I have tried everything in the book to get these off. You have to scrape it off and use adhesive remover to get the leftover material. This is a big reason why I do not install 3M. I see this all the time and most customers end up having to take the car in and have the areas snaded down and repainted. I know its bad news but there isnt much you can do.
I figured there was no hope. I did the mirrors, and friction burned my finger tip in the process. But the paint underneath is fine. My strategy would be to put the orange adhesive remover along the seam and use an old credit card to begin lifting.

When I pulled the film on the mirrors off the film came off a little and then cracked. I had to lift a new edge all over again.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
I took mine off also today but now have sticky stuff all over since it was a nice day around 75. Any suggestions?