Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Was washing my C350 when I noticed.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 ML550 4MATIC
Was washing my C350 when I noticed.....

There are discolorations in the paint running down from the rear license plate. It looks like soap residue, but no amount of scrubbing & rinsing will remove it.

Could this be from salty water running down from the license plate over the winter?

Any ideas on a solution? A polishing compound perhaps?

Thanks.

(Hard to see in the pic......too much sun right now.)
Attached Thumbnails Was washing my C350 when I noticed.....-p1010014.jpg  

Last edited by PharmMB; 04-07-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:02 PM

'14 CLA 45
Try a paintwork cleanser first, before you go to polishes and compounds. Also, try and get a better shot if you can.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:35 PM

2014 ML550 4MATIC
Here's a few more pics. It's hard to get the camera to pick up the discoloration. In the angled pic you can see how underneath the license plate the paint is dulled (foggy), but shiny (normal) beside to the plate.

As for paintwork cleanser, do you have any specific suggestions? I know little of such things........

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Was washing my C350 when I noticed.....-p1010015.jpg   Was washing my C350 when I noticed.....-p1010017.jpg   Was washing my C350 when I noticed.....-p1010024.jpg  
Old 04-09-2012, 08:29 PM

'14 CLA 45
Yes, it really is hard to tell from your pictures. Paint cleansers of Klasse All In One (KAIO) or P21S should be a good first try. I know for a fact that the P21S is fairly easy to work with the hand, if you do not have a machine.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:05 PM
OTD

2011 Audi A4
I would use a stronger cleaner like werkstat prime strong. keep us posted
Old 04-09-2012, 10:54 PM

'14 CLA 45
Originally Posted by OTD
I would use a stronger cleaner like werkstat prime strong. keep us posted
Never used it, so I cannot speak for it. Have you tried applying it by hand before, since I believe that the OP does not have a buffer? Can you compare it to P21S?
Old 04-09-2012, 11:34 PM
OTD

2011 Audi A4
yes I use it by hand, but I can't compare to P21s ( never used it )

here's some results I got

here is another Pro-detailer's results

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/...k-cleanser.htm

so IMHO, the OP will be happier with werkstat prime strong than other cleanser on the martket.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:51 AM

2014 ML550 4MATIC
It turns out that when I removed my plate there was some calcium/lime build-up crusted on the back. I do live in the middle of nowhere and there's a lot of rock so perhaps there is a high mineral content in my water.

I assume this caused the problem because the fogging of the clear coat appeared like drip marks directly beneath the plate and nowhere else on the car.

I ended up using Maguiar's Ultimate Compound (none of anyone's suggestions were available in my small town). A little dab and some elbow grease brought back the shine. I also used CLR on the plate to remove the calcium/lime build-up. Hopefully, this doesn't become a recurrent problem......otherwise I may have to start taking my car to the big city for washing.

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:01 PM

'14 CLA 45
Originally Posted by PharmMB
It turns out that when I removed my plate there was some calcium/lime build-up crusted on the back. I do live in the middle of nowhere and there's a lot of rock so perhaps there is a high mineral content in my water.

I assume this caused the problem because the fogging of the clear coat appeared like drip marks directly beneath the plate and nowhere else on the car.

I ended up using Maguiar's Ultimate Compound (none of anyone's suggestions were available in my small town). A little dab and some elbow grease brought back the shine. I also used CLR on the plate to remove the calcium/lime build-up. Hopefully, this doesn't become a recurrent problem......otherwise I may have to start taking my car to the big city for washing.

Thanks everyone.
Great to hear.

In detailing, if available, you always want to start with the least abbrasive product, therefore our recommendations at first.

Enjoy your results