Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Researching buffers please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slk 280
Researching buffers please help

I have been researching buffers all day and I am more confused then ever as to what to buy. I am a total beginner and never tried buffing a car before so any help on would be appreciated. I want to remove light swirl marks out of the paint of a white Mercedes SLK. I want something that is going to be easy and safe to use for a total newbie.

These are the buffers I have been looking at:
Porter Cable 7424XP
Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital
Meguiars Dual Action 6 Inch Polisher G110v2
Flex Tool XC 3401 VRG Orbital Polisher

Also any recommendations on polishes?
Adam's Polishes
Menzerna Polishes
Meguiar's Polishes
Griot's Machine Polish
Old 04-08-2012, 07:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
For a neophye detailer I would recommend the Groit's machine polisher and Optimum Hyper Polish a spray-able polish; by spraying the polish onto a buffing pad, you can effectively prime the entire pad with a minimal amount of product. Therefore you are using the entire pad to polish the paint and achieve better results in less time than a conventional polish.

"Detailing 101; Introduction to Detailing" - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ml#post1451986

Last edited by TOGWT; 04-08-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:58 PM

none
If you have never used a machine buffer before, I would try it out on the inside of the trunk or the doors.
That way you can get a little practice before you apply it to the body of the car.
Machine buffers and polish are best used by professionals who have a understanding of the combined abrasive abilities of both.
White paint can be very tricky to polish because like black it shows virtually every flaw.
Too much applied polish can create dull spots on a factory finish fast.
Unless the swirl marks are really bad, you may have better luck with a non abrasive approach. Something that won't risk creating more damaging on the finish.
One more thing, avoid automatic car washes, they create swirl marks and spider webs on your paint.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:23 AM

2005 CLK500 cab, 2004 S600 designo mocha
Back when I was doing my research, the Porter Cable 7424 (as you mentioned) was talked about in just about every forum and writeup. I ended up purchasing one, and I've been very happy ever since.

For polishes I used Meguiars M105 and M205. Same with Meguiars pads. The stuff is pretty inexpensive, and I love being able to run to my nearest Advance Auto to pick up supplies (order online for 40% off of course). Don't be afraid, anyone can polish. Watch some tutorials, don't use wool pads to start, start with the lesser abrasive pads too.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 c230SS
i have the porter cable as well. check this video to help you: