Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Help - Scratch on bonnet??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 11:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
S Class
Help - Scratch on bonnet??

I have two scratches which appeared on the bonnet of my Black new E350. I have seen them before.

It is a perfect flawless semi-circle from the nose to the edge of the bonnet not a sign of deviation, which is about as thick as possibly two hairs and four foot long. The depth of the scratch is less than a millimeter, so much so that I was unable to take a picture for you or get my nail into it.

This mark I have seen before on the rear a pillars and on the roof but they were shorter.

Care: My car is cleaned professionally by a reputable polish company who do an amazing job, I trust them as do many others, Aston, Bentley and so on. I visited them today and they claimed if this were a stone in their cloths that it would be more erratic a scratch.. I am not so sure. They seemed very genuine and not at all defensive today and they were kind and mentioned that it is in their interests to make my car very special each week.

Parking: I always lock the car up at night. I never park it in daft places, and in car parks mine is the furthest car from others.

Previously: I noted these marks which I thought were cat marks as they were also accompanied by paw marks. My theory was that a cat jumped on the car or sat on the warm bonnet and due to the high lustre fell off in a random panic and the light claw marks cause the scratches.

However this time unless a cat can go side ways or in a perfect arc I think this theory is flawed.

I thought it mite be a Stanley blade but to be fair if someone is going to "do" a car they make a good job of it and it tends to need a respray.

1. What do you think is happening to my paint? Am I driving into invisible thorn bushes?

2. What should I start to do as a novice to try and remove it. Please, I don't want to hack at it with something and spoil it.

3. Have you experienced this before?

Love to know what UK or imported products I can use.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
With out a machine polisher and some experience, CeramiClear is very hard paint and requires skill to remove scratches

If you have the above try an OPT Optimum Microfiber pad and Menzerna PF2500 (PO203)

If not take it to a reputable professional detailer
Old 05-20-2012, 02:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
S Class
Originally Posted by TOGWT
With out a machine polisher and some experience, CeramiClear is very hard paint and requires skill to remove scratches

If you have the above try an OPT Optimum Microfiber pad and Menzerna PF2500 (PO203)

If not take it to a reputable professional detailer
Thank you - I will have to book it in for what they call a smart repair here in the uk....