Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Clay & Zaino on Perma Plate?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes-Benz E500
Question Clay & Zaino on Perma Plate?

When I got my E500, I bought this $900 Perma Plate detailing option from the dealer.. and I got it done... Car does look nicer and stuff... but I wanna clay & zaino the car also...
I was wondering if clay & zaino would work on top of the Perma Plate I already have...
Anyone have any ideas..?
Old 07-15-2003, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Clay will remove the perma plate, which it good since Zaino needs to be applied to a clean proper surface for it to bond.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Sorry, but the 900 dollars u spent on the perma plate will be pretty much thrown in the toilet once you do all that. I wish u had came to this forum first, we could have saved u all the money.
Old 07-17-2003, 03:15 AM

2003 Mercedes-Benz E500
Ick... that's not a very good news for me..
Is Perma Plate better or at least same quality as clay & zaino?
If the clay & zaino is better than perma plate, i'll just do the zaino...
Old 07-17-2003, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by suhochunsah
Ick... that's not a very good news for me..
Is Perma Plate better or at least same quality as clay & zaino?
If the clay & zaino is better than perma plate, i'll just do the zaino...
If you feel likie you want to get your 900 dollars worth, wait about 4-5 months when the permaplate begins to wear off and then clay and zaino. Or, wash your car with dawn and clay it and then take it to the dealer and say the perma plate isn't working anymore and you want ur 900 bucks back, hehe. The full zaino kit is 85 bucks so you would have saved quite a lot of money. You will also need towels and a good wash mitt(microfiber or 100% cotton chenille (only 100% cotton because the rest scratch)). Wow, I should ask people for 900 dollars when i detail their car, lol!
Old 07-17-2003, 06:10 PM

2003 E320
perma

i would suggest that you just drive your car for 4-5 months until the perma plate wears off. at least that way you aren't just throwing away the $900 that you paid.

then come back here, dawn and clay your car, and then apply all the zaino stuff.

since you're in socal, you can get the stuff from that dude at lazaino.com...he even sells pretty good quality cotton towels. i got the microfiber towels from microfibertech and towels + zaino from lazaino and everything went pretty well...it just took all afternoon on a sunday.

Rock.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Originally posted by AlBoston
Sorry, but the 900 dollars u spent on the perma plate will be pretty much thrown in the toilet once you do all that. I wish u had came to this forum first, we could have saved u all the money.

lol, i told you about it, lol, remember. i know what to do....its kind of dangerous, he should clay it, get it all off, then go to the dealer, and be like, your stuff didnt work, its not on there, then get a refund back
Old 07-18-2003, 01:58 AM

2003 Mercedes-Benz E500
Heh.. I don't think I'll try to get my money back...
I feel bad trying to cheat my dealer... I guess I'll just wait till it wears out and apply the clay & zaino...
Is there a detailing shop that'll Zaino for me? I've never done any kind of detailing on my own before.. and I'm afraid I might not do it correctly.. I rather have professionals handle it.. especially when my car is black...
How long does Zaino last anyways..?
Old 07-18-2003, 04:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Originally posted by suhochunsah
Heh.. I don't think I'll try to get my money back...
I feel bad trying to cheat my dealer... I guess I'll just wait till it wears out and apply the clay & zaino...
Is there a detailing shop that'll Zaino for me? I've never done any kind of detailing on my own before.. and I'm afraid I might not do it correctly.. I rather have professionals handle it.. especially when my car is black...
How long does Zaino last anyways..?
Well, they sure didn't feel bad cheating you and ripping you off. I say go back and get a refund on it. That perma plate thing is one hell of a scam if you ask me.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:13 AM

GLK, CLK, GL, C2S
Yeah, that Perma Plate is crap. The dealer told me that if I wanted to avoid the spider scratches, Perma Plate is the product. What a load of crap. My black 2003 CLK500 has more scratches than my non-perma plated 1995 E320.

I use www.griots.com products on my E320 and get excellent results. Griots had been really helpful with my questions. When I called them with my perma plate problem, they told me the Perma Plate is like a layer of teflon saran wrap around my car. The swirl marks are tiny scratches from that darn saran wrap. They said it's really difficult to take that wrap off my car, and they've had people try to take it off, but made it worse. They told me that although they would really like to have my business, they would not recommend any aftermarket wax products on my perma plated car.

For any one who has a perma plated car and has made the switch to other wax produts, I would like to hear your "personal" experiences with the wax.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by oggle
Well, they sure didn't feel bad cheating you and ripping you off. I say go back and get a refund on it. That perma plate thing is one hell of a scam if you ask me.
That is exactly what I was going to post!
Old 07-20-2003, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by MBZ4LIFE
Yeah, that Perma Plate is crap. The dealer told me that if I wanted to avoid the spider scratches, Perma Plate is the product. What a load of crap. My black 2003 CLK500 has more scratches than my non-perma plated 1995 E320.

I use www.griots.com products on my E320 and get excellent results. Griots had been really helpful with my questions. When I called them with my perma plate problem, they told me the Perma Plate is like a layer of teflon saran wrap around my car. The swirl marks are tiny scratches from that darn saran wrap. They said it's really difficult to take that wrap off my car, and they've had people try to take it off, but made it worse. They told me that although they would really like to have my business, they would not recommend any aftermarket wax products on my perma plated car.

For any one who has a perma plated car and has made the switch to other wax produts, I would like to hear your "personal" experiences with the wax.
I don't believe that crap about perma plate. I think if you used a car wash like ABC from www.autoint.com that it would completely remove the perma plate.