Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Whats the best way to Protect paint from sun

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 CLK430, 86 BMW 325, 66 GTmustang, 97 GTmustang
Whats the best way to Protect paint from sun

Hey Guys i have a problem sadly i had to move and my baby thats been garaged since i bought it has to be outside in the sun. iam using a good quality sunshade to protect the dash and it can be under the car cover for part of the time, but whats the best wax to use or what titps do you have for protection of the inside and outside. the color is white with the ash interior. thanks in advance
Old 07-29-2012, 06:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Ensure that the paint protection product you use contains ultra violet (UV) radiation protection, this is an expensive ingredient that must be added (btw Carnauba wax doesn’t contain natural UV protection; that's a marketing myth)

Consider using Optimum Polymer Technologies Opti-Coat™ , it is formulated from silicon (Si 14) (SiO2 -silica) according to Optimum it forms ceramic bonds at very high temperatures and will not be damaged by extreme heat and therefore resists oxidation. It’s a pre- polymer resin that cross links and forms a continuous film on the surfaces, it also contains ultra violet (UV) protection

One ounce will seal and protect 3-4 vehicles. Opti-Coat will provide a 2-4 µm (microns) film and a hardness of 9H (Pencil Hardness) when fully cross-linked and provides a semi-permanent coating that resists road dirt, grime and etc attaching to its surface by a ‘Lotus Effect'. Compare this to a wax or sealant thickness of ~ 0.02 µm (~0 .00078 Mil)

Last edited by TOGWT; 07-29-2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 CLK430, 86 BMW 325, 66 GTmustang, 97 GTmustang
thanks for the quick reply so after using the Optimum Polymer Technologies Opti-Coat could you then apply over the top of that with a carnuba wax or would you leave it alone ? and would it damage the opti coat?
Old 07-30-2012, 06:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
A Carnauba wax on top of Opti-Coat will not 'harm' the polymers (that's what I do to provide depth)