Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Protecting Mercedes ceramic clear coat paint from the sun

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 12:23 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2008 W204
Protecting Mercedes ceramic clear coat paint from the sun

This fall I have to start parking my car in the train station parking lot all day for about 4 days a week to go to school. I have an 08 iridium silver paint job meaning it is the ceramic clear coat.

I am worried about leaving it in the sun all day and want to know what the effects will be? Is the Merc clearcoat relatively more durable to the sun? Chances are it will dull over time right? The headlights and black plastic will probably fade also, am I right?

If I put some type of sealant on the car that blocks UVs, would this be effective? What if I put the same UV protectant sealant on the plastic/rubber as well as the headlights? Are UV rays the main cause of fading and if I kept the car sealed would I be okay leaving it in the sun? Or will there be effects regardless of what preventative measures I take?

I'm not so worried about the interior because I have tints, a rear sun shade and will buy a windshield reflector. I am thinking about buying a beater car just to drive to the train station, but I feel stupid buying another car just for that.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E350 Wagon, prev 2005 ML 500 SE
UV

Aerospace 303 is great on UV protection for trim, plastics like headlight and taillight covers, and even tires.

You may want to check out AutoGeek site.
New line of GTechniq products has product that will arrive soon, EXO, which supposedly has twice the UV protection of anything else. It has combo of inorganic and organic matterials and one app lasts for 2/3 years.
They also have many other brands.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:44 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Jetta
Hi Your easiest bet is to put a coat of HD NITRO SEAL over the entire car - windows trim etc... everywhere. Easily will last 8 months or more. The truth is that you need to decontaminate the paint no matter what once or twice a year (really as needed) anyway.

Reapplication is easy with Nitro, not so much with coatings.

Anyway, here is a link to the product. Look wise, it will make that color really pop.

http://www.3dproducts.com/HD-Nitro-Seal.html?a_aid=8013

If you have any questions just ask me.

Tom
Old 08-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

The dirty one...
Continuous application of protectants *might* prolong the effects of long term exposure, but unfortunately will not totally block it out. Good thing is that your car is equipped with some pretty stout clearcoat UV technology and this should provide you with decades of great paint protection in itself. Keep it properly cleaned and sealed with a high quality protectant and you should really be fine.