Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Black Magic Wheel Cleaner and Tire Shine Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 05:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Black Magic Wheel Cleaner and Tire Shine Review

For those of you that know me, I'm pretty **** about my cars and detailing. I only wash and detail my cars myself and I have some pretty serious equipment, ranging from a water deionizer, foam cannon, d/a polisher, etc. and use only "Premium" brands such as P21S, 1Z Einzett, Sonax, Optimum, Menzerna, etc. that you can only find at dedicated detailing supply stores and websites. The only readily available "over the counter" product I purchase for car detailing is Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax, everything else at Pep Boys, Target, etc., I don't like and/or think isn't good enough for my cars.

But, I was recently asked to provide an evaluation of Black Magic products. I was a little hesitant b/c I don't use products by Black Magic, but since it was tire cleaner and tire shine, I didn't mind and gave it a shot.

I was graciously provided by Black Magic (through Internet Brands) with some evaluation samples of the following three products:
  • All Wheel Cleaner (Aerosol)
  • Tire Wet Wax
  • Tire Wet Spray Gel

This review is currently for the All Wheel Cleaner and the Tire Wet Wax (I haven't tried the Tire Wet Spray Gel yet).

I used it on my GT-R which had been beaten at the track recently and needed a good cleaning.

To be honest, I try not to use wheel cleaner that often b/c I think it's pretty strong and harsh and I just try to let the soap foam on the wheels and then agitate by hand. But, when I do use wheel cleaner, I use the P21S Wheel Cleaner Gel or the Sonax Wheel Cleaner Full Effect. Both work well, but the Sonax worries me b/c it seems pretty strong and has a strong smell.

I was surprised to see the Black Magic All Wheel Cleaner in aerosol form. However, it went on cleanly and didn't go everywhere. It appeared to cling onto the wheel pretty well. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to apply. I first pressure washed my wheel and then applied the All Wheel Cleaner.

After that, I applied it to the next wheel and then agitated very lightly (I was lazy) and then pressure washed it off both wheels.

The result was pretty good (especially since I didn't agitate much or use the brushes to get to the inside).

I'm pretty satisfied by the wheel cleaner and I think it gives the more expensive brands a run for their money. It's great for a product that is readily available at most auto supplies or big box retailers at a price point significantly cheaper that the specialty brands. I don't feel like it's strong enough to do damage to your wheels and brakes (so long as you don't leave it on for too long, which is like most wheel cleaners). I'm definitely going to be using it again.

Then, I went to the Tire Wet Wax:

I initially liked the product b/c it seemed thick and it included a nice dedicated applicator. It was very easy to apply. I applied it and since I don't like my tires too shiny, I went over it again with the applicator to take some of the gloss away. I like how you can do that with this product and can get the gloss to your liking. The tires looked pretty healthy:

I let the car sit for about 45 minutes (the instructions say let it set for 15 minutes) and then took the car out for the day and drove about 80 miles. When I got home, I was disappointed to see that there was a LOT of sling from the Tire Wax all over the body of the car. I had to clean the sling off of the body of my car. I didn't even apply that much and even went over it again AND waited 3x's the amount prescribed and it still didn't stick. I can't really recommend this product because of the amount of sling.

I'll let you guys know what I find out about the Tire Wet Spray Gel and see if it has as much sling as the Tire Wax.

Last edited by nlpamg; 08-09-2012 at 05:27 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
If you can, get that stuff off your tires NOW
Black Magic Tire Shine is SILICONE based, and therefore will brown and dull your tires over time. Also, your other tire shines won't stick to the surface.
Get it off with a tire brush and some APC/P21S or other degreaser!!!!

Look it up on any detailing forum
Try and always use water based products!
Old 08-13-2012, 03:33 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by amaycg
If you can, get that stuff off your tires NOW
Black Magic Tire Shine is SILICONE based, and therefore will brown and dull your tires over time. Also, your other tire shines won't stick to the surface.
Get it off with a tire brush and some APC/P21S or other degreaser!!!!

Look it up on any detailing forum
Try and always use water based products!
Thanks, Amay, I didn't know that. I actually washed the GT-R this weekend and noticed MORE damn sling on the body. The Tire Wet Wax is garbage. I washed it off and wiped it off. It came off in black little shards.

The tires on the car don't last that long, so I'm not very concerned about browning or dulling, lol.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator

Well, here's the last part of the review. I tried the Tire Wet Spray Gel... On a Mercedes this time and on AMG wheels

Dirty wheel and tire:

Letting the Black Magic All Wheel Cleaner penetrate:

Clean wheel:

And with the Tire Wet Spray Gel which oddly enough came out thick out of the spray bottle--it really is a Gel:

I didn't drive the car afterwards, so I won't be able to tell you if there is any sling from this product. I was told that this product was better than the wax, but we'll see.