Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Rust proofing treatment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glk350
Rust proofing treatment

hello everyone,

I have a B200 Turbo 2007. I want to avoid having rust on the exterior body, etc. and I just have small spots thus far, but was wondering if i should treat (rust proof) it or not

1- was told no need to treat with rust proof treatment as mercedes have specifically designed, fabricated and coated their frames, doors, etc. (metal) that it is not necessary for a treatment each year ? This true or not ?

2- if I need a treatment, should i still do it, even though it has not been done since 2007?

3- which treatment would you recommend: oil or grease?

thanks in advance for any tips
Eli
Old 08-18-2012, 05:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
[I want to avoid having rust on the exterior body, etc. and I just have small spots thus far...]

Rust Spots-They are usually caused by sintered metallic brake dust that has penetrated the paint film surface; water / moisture will produce rust. It can be removed with detailer's clay, followed with a pre-wax polish/cleaner and a surface protection re-applied.

They should be removed as soon as it’s noticed as it may permeate under the paint surface, causing the paint to 'bubble' if this should happen the affected surface should be treated with a suitable rust inhibitor to avoid the rust contaminating other areas