Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Which Pads, Polish, and Wax to use with PC7424XP?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C350
Which Pads, Polish, and Wax to use with PC7424XP?

Hey guys,
I am not new to detailing my vehicles, I have just always done it by hand...I just ordered a Porter Cable 7424XP and have been researching what "kit" to buy. It seems like everyone has different opinions on this subject, so my questions to you guys is, what buffing pads do you guys recommend? What polish and wax works best that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

It seems alot of people like the Lake County Pads, but they have like 7 or 8 to choose from. Then others say McGuiar's Pads which only has 2 or 3 pads. I'm a beginner with using a polisher, so I would prefer to keep it simple and just use 2 or 3 pads, but if you guys think I need more then I'll have to deal with it lol.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 11-27-2012, 09:58 PM

Toyota Taco
Originally Posted by ranorris2
Hey guys,
I am not new to detailing my vehicles, I have just always done it by hand...I just ordered a Porter Cable 7424XP and have been researching what "kit" to buy. It seems like everyone has different opinions on this subject, so my questions to you guys is, what buffing pads do you guys recommend? What polish and wax works best that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

It seems alot of people like the Lake County Pads, but they have like 7 or 8 to choose from. Then others say McGuiar's Pads which only has 2 or 3 pads. I'm a beginner with using a polisher, so I would prefer to keep it simple and just use 2 or 3 pads, but if you guys think I need more then I'll have to deal with it lol.

Thanks,
Ryan
with a PC you want to stick with 5 or 5.5 inch pads, preferably with a low profile. The machine is more likely to bog down and not spin with larger pads (6in+) or thicker pads

As you mentioned, tons of options out there. With a PC, only looking to buy a few pads:

cutting: LC orange flat (5.5in) or LC hydrotech cyan (5.5in)

polishing: LC white flat (5.5in) or LC hydrotech tangerine

finishing / spreading wax: LC black flat or hydrotech crimson

FWIW my most used pads are probably the LC hydrotech tangerine with the low profile (7/8in)

polishes - again a ton of options - I like megs d300, 105, 205 and menz 1500, 2500 and 4000. They all have their place. If only getting a couple, do 105 & 205 or d300 & 205.

Affordable and good wax / sealant: collinite 845, blackfire wet diamond, p21s concours paste - depends on what you like to look at and what you like to work with
Old 11-27-2012, 10:35 PM

2009 C350
Thanks for the reply

I have already bought some pads...LC Orange, LC White, and LC Red. Is the black better than red for finishing?

I am still looking for products to use, so I will look at your suggestions and hopefully start my detailing soon.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:01 PM

Toyota Taco
Originally Posted by ranorris2
Thanks for the reply

I have already bought some pads...LC Orange, LC White, and LC Red. Is the black better than red for finishing?

I am still looking for products to use, so I will look at your suggestions and hopefully start my detailing soon.
5.5 inch pads or the 6.5inch?

all good choices. pretty much covers the spectrum. Red & black pretty much the same in my opinion. I use the red all the time for spreading wax / sealant

of the polishes I recommended, megs is inexpensive compared to all the menzerna stuff. So many product lines make compounds / polishes that I'm sure 3 other detailers would give you different answers.

Best bet is to get your hands on something and play around.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:07 PM

2009 C350
I got the 5.5" pads. I guess i will do like you said and get a few different products and see which I like best.

Thanks