Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Poss answer to chrome problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 W211 aka E-500
Poss answer to chrome problem

Al and others,

I think I might know what happened to my chrome wheels! For those of you who haven't heard, I cannot keep the brake dust from baking itself onto my chromies in little specks. I had some success with a clay bar, but not a complete removal, and now they're back.

Well, guess what?! I got a certified, had to produce ID and sign for letter with a return receipt requested from my friendly neighborhood Mercedes Benz dealer. Here's the text:

"Dear Customer:

Our records indicate that you added chrome wheels to your Mercedes-Benz. We want to notify you that Mercedes Benz of Laguna Niguel (CA) has learned that in certain situations the "hot strip" process used to remove the powder coating from wheels prior to chroming has reduced the tensile strength of chrome wheels. The hot strip process was used on your chrome wheels. We want you to know that we have investigated this matter thoroughly. We now believe, based on independent laboratory testing, that nay reduced tensile strength does not create safety issues for these wheels. However, given our concern for our customers' safety and to avoid any potential hazard or other mechanical problem, we want to do a "real world" inspection and test of all "hot stripped" chrome wheels. This is a simple process involving a visual inspection and torque test of the wheels.

To help us do this test, we request that you contact one of our service appointment coordinators at..."

OK, if they're not concerned about safety issues, then why did they mail this to me certified, ID required, and a return receipt requested? Of course, I only got one letter, even though I bought two 2003 MBs on the same day, in the same transaction, and they both had stock wheels chromed

Anyhow, Al Boston mentioned something about "soft" chrome, I believe, some weeks ago that may be why I have so much trouble with that baked on brake dust. Perhaps these issues are related.

Anyhow, just wanted to give you an update.

EDJ

Last edited by ElDiabloJoe; 08-03-2003 at 12:59 AM.
Old 08-03-2003, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230Kompressor
EDJ,

Well, sounds like you may have a shot here. This was originally posted by MarkCummins on the W203 Forum:

__
Btw Mercedes Benz Has TSB Stating NOT to Chrome Plate ANY of Its Wheels...The TUV Does Not Approve it!

But Our Dealers Want to GROSS as Much as Possible on Every car they sell...They Dont care about The long Term of your wheels ..Its all about The Bottom Line $$$$
__

Here's my thinking. If they sold you chrome wheels after the TSB came out (i.e. they knew they shouldn't be chroming wheels), you might be able to argue that they sold you cars with a safety defect, according to the manufacturer. You might see if you can get ahold of the TSB before you go see them so you have a little more firepower. I'm sure 95% of their clients don't know about this, the letter was nothing but a CYA. New wheels would probably take care of your black spot problem.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 W211 aka E-500
Update:

MBLN's GM contacted me today. The chrome wheel process they are having concerns with is a group of wheels that were done with a hot dip instead of a cool dip process (??).

Anyhow, they assure me my wheels are fine, and that any issues I'm having with brake dust "baking" onto the chromies is unrelated.

However, they did agree to set up a meeting with me and their head detail guy to discuss the issue.

The meet is tentatively set for Monday, 9/8/03. I'll advise if anything constructive results.

PS--I also updated my entire issues with MBLN, as documented in the off-topic forum:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...0&pagenumber=3

EDJ
Old 09-08-2003, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 W211 aka E-500
Dispo

Ok, here's the tail end of it. The dealership claims that chromed wheels do not have a clearcoat coating on them. They use Simple Green brand cleaner when they wash chrome wheels.

I have to admit, when they washed my wheels (when I didn't want them too Grrrrrrr), the wheels looked pretty good....better than when I've tried using soap and water over Zaino. Their Simple Green worked better than my clay bar on them too (those little nooks and crannys are tough!).

Anyhow, in synopsis form:

Dealership says chromed wheels are not clearcoated
Dealership uses Simple Green to clean chrome wheels.

FYI

EDJ
Old 09-08-2003, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think I would use Simple Green full strength if I were using it. I personally use EF High Intensity diulted 4 or 5:1 with water whenever I need some bite to clean. This dilution was actually strong enough for me to detail an engine over 7 years old that had never been cleaned. I doubt even that much strength is needed for wheels.